Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I joined a public speaking club and I'm in their online group English conversation. There are 400 people in this conversation. The club meets every Friday to practice public speaking skills. Today, the host said in the group. "Those who have signed up to join us this Friday please join this new conversation". Then they strated a new one for those who are supposed to join this Friday. I then joined the new conversation. However, I'm just a guest. I don't need to prepare anything for Friday's night and in that group, I'm just reading what those members are chatting. I then commented "I think I'm redundant here".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi,

I joined a public speaking club and I'm in their online group English conversation group. There are 400 people in this group. conversation. The club meets every Friday to practice public speaking skills. Today, the host said in the group. "Those who have signed up to join us this Friday, please join this new conversation". Then they started a new one for those who are supposed to join this Friday. I then joined the new conversation. However, I'm just a guest. I don't need to prepare anything for Friday night and in or for that group. I'm just reading what those members are chatting. I then commented "I think I'm redundant here".
I don't understand the underlined part.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe you feel like a fifth wheel.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think 'redundant' is quite what you mean to say. Can you rephrase your sentiment in other words?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To teechar:

The underlined part meant that "When I was in the new online group conversation, I couldn't cut in or say things I wanted to say because that conversation was supposed to be for members only and I would be a guest. During their conversations in that conversation group, they talked about the precedures of the Friday talk. Guests don't need to do anything. However, when they started the group conversation, they said "Those who would go to the club this Friday, please join this conversation".

I think a better way is "I don't think I'm supposed to show up here in this conversation".

"Redundant" means something like "not belong to that group" or something else.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it could work, but it sounds negative.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion, you should point out to the person who set up the separate WhatsApp group for this Friday that they said that anyone planning to attend could join the group, but that it now appears it's mostly aimed at people who are speaking on Friday. I wouldn't use "redundant" in this context. I might say "I don't think there's any point in my being in this group as I'm not speaking on Friday".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To teechar:

The underlined part means that "When I was in the new online group conversation, I couldn't cut in or say things I wanted to say because that conversation was for members only, and I was a guest. During their conversations in that conversation group, they talked about the procedures of the Friday talk. Guests don't need to do anything. However, when they started the group conversation, they said "Those who are going to the club this Friday, please join this conversation".

I think a better way is "I don't think I'm supposed to show up here in this conversation".

"Redundant" means something like "not belong to that group" or something else.
I guess you could say that as a guest you weren't expected to say anything. You were only supposed to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.