[General] I think there are more foreigners know....(25 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I was chatting with someone in a group conversation. She mentioned that her hometown Gansu is very famous because many foreigners going there to explore the places. I said Tuwan (a place in Chongqing) is more popular. This was a conversation talking about tourism and cities. During the conversation, someone said "Chongqing is a celebrity city". I think this is not natural. What he wanted to say is that "(1) Chongqing is a city famous for its many tourist attractions". And when chatting about the popularity between the two places (Gansu and Tuwan), I said "(2) I think there are more foreigners who know about Tuwan than they do about Gansu." Are my two numbered italic sentences natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

I was chatting with someone in a group conversation. She mentioned that her hometown Gansu is very famous because many foreigners [STRIKE]going[/STRIKE] go there to explore. [STRIKE]the places.[/STRIKE] I said that Tuwan (a place in Chongqing) is more popular.

This was a conversation [STRIKE]talking[/STRIKE] about tourism and cities. During the conversation, someone said "Chongqing is a celebrity city". I think this is not natural. What he wanted to say is that "(1) Chongqing is a city famous for its many tourist attractions".

And when chatting about the popularity between the two places (Gansu and Tuwan), I said "(2) I think [STRIKE]there are[/STRIKE] more foreigners [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] know about Tuwan than [STRIKE]they do[/STRIKE] about Gansu."

Are my two numbered italic sentences natural?

See above. I agree that "Chongqing is a celebrity city" is not natural. It makes it sound as if lots of celebrities (famous people) live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.