I want to bring to your notice/I would like to bring to your notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If I want to take something to my superior officer/boss notice like something that is not going well or requires changes, which one of the above is correct to use?

I do not think 'I would like to" is appropriate because what I want to inform is not something pleasant.

Is there any other way to say it?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Englishlover:

I think that most American writing teachers in 2015 tell their students to avoid unnecessary openings such as "I want / wish / would like to bring to your attention that ...."

Students are taught to write tightly. That is, say something and stop.

Dear Mr. Smith:

I have noticed that for the last five days The Parser has been smoking cigarettes and drinking beer in the basement during the lunch hour.

Sincerely yours,

Anonymous

There is no need to say anything else. Mr. Smith knows that such behavior is against company rules and probably against the law. The boss will then take the action that he deems necessary. You have done your part.

You are actually insulting your boss if you tell him that you wish to bring something to his attention. He knows that you wish to being something to his attention, for he is reading a note that you took the trouble to write to him.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While I agree that the opening words are unnecessary, I don't find them to be insulting in any way.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for the replies.

What If I want to write it officially like in an e-mail or letter?

And also, if I want to inform him about something more serious like how the new contract will affect us.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Englishlover:

You are currently in the "Ask a Teacher" forum.

I suggest that the very popular "Editing & Writing Topics" forum may be what you are looking for.

Just write a draft version of what you wish to say in your email or letter, post it in that forum, and ask someone to check it for you.

You will get many helpful suggestions on how to phrase your email or letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.