Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So, there is no difference between "If Manchester United win today, they climb to third" and "If Manchester United win today, they will climb to third" when used to make a prediction, isn't there?
Yes, these two sentences are different. The first is not a prediction but a statement of fact. It's simply saying that three more points puts them in third place in the table.
I want to make a prediction for a game taking place today.

Then say this:

Manchester United will win.

The use of will shows that this is a prediction.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
When making a prediction, is it possible to say this sentence before the game begins, jutfrank?

If Man Utd won today, they would climb to third.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When making a prediction, is it possible to say this sentence before the game begins, jutfrank?

If Man Utd won today, they would climb to third.
That's not a prediction, Kontol.

Tell us exactly what you want to say and why you want to say it.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
That's not a prediction, Kontol.

Tell us exactly what you want to say and why you want to say it.
For example, there is a match between Man Utd vs Crystal Palace today at 14:00, before the match begins, I'm going to say the following sentence as an assumption.

If Manchester United won today, they would leapfrog West Ham.

Is my understanding right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's not an assumption.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Thank you. In what situation should I use my sentence? I'm a bit confused because I want to say it before the match

If Manchester United won today, they would leapfrog West Ham

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We keep giving similar answers in several of your threads. Kontol. You don't appear to be taking them in.

If Manchester United win today, they will leapfrog West Ham. The speaker sees the win as a real possibility.
If Manchester United won today, they would leapfrog West Ham. The speaker sees the win as a more hypothetical, or unreal, possibility.

In what situation should I use my sentence? I'm a bit confused because I want to say it before the match
As jutfrank has suggested elsewhere, you should be thinking about the situation you want to talk about, not about situations in which you can use certain words.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
If Manchester United win today, they will leapfrog West Ham. The speaker sees the win as a real possibility.
If Manchester United won today, they would leapfrog West Ham. The speaker sees the win as a more hypothetical, or unreal, possibility
So when we're talking about a real situation, it's not appropriate to use the form "if + past, would", right? Because the game is real, we use the form "if + present, will"? What do you think I'm correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If Manchester United won today, they would leapfrog West Ham. The speaker sees the win as a more hypothetical, or unreal, possibility.
So when we're talking about a real situation, it's not appropriate to use the form "if + past, would", right? Because the game is real, we use the form "if + present, will"? What do you think I'm correct?
I am not sure if you have completely understood. In the first of my two sentences, it is the possibility of a win for Manchester United that is real, i.e., the speaker thinks that such a win is possible. The match itself, being in the future, is not actually 'real' until it happens.

The future happening of the match is just as real (or unreal) in the second. It is the possibility of a win for Manchester United that is seen by the speaker as more hypothetical.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Yes, I don't fully understand about this difference. It's difficult and confusing. Could you tell me what the meaning of "hypothetical" in this case is? I'm trying my best to grasp this.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I'm sure this is exactly what jutfrank has explained.

If Man Utd win today, they will leapfrog West Ham. This is said by a United fan.
If Man Utd won today, they would leapfrog West Ham. This is said by a journalist

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If Man Utd win today, they will leapfrog West Ham. This is said by a United fan.
If Man Utd won today, they would leapfrog West Ham. This is said by a journalist
I am sure jutfrank did not simply make the statements I have put in bold without some word of explanation.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could you tell me what the meaning of "hypothetical" in this case is? I'm trying my best to grasp this.
A hypothetical situation is one that is presented as supposed, imagined, possible. It is not necessarily real or true.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How do you see Man Utd's chances of winning?

Status
Not open for further replies.