Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Why does Uncle Jack use "would have" in this post? As we can see, the question is in the present, but the answer is made in the past. I would have said "I would say" there.
https://forum.wordreference.com/thr...from-diverse-buildings.3637432/#post-18537712

kansi said:
What does materiality mean in this passage about architecture?

Jason Statham’s Malibu Beach House Embodies His Connection to Nature

In Statham’s iteration, the surf shack became cozy, chic, and serene. An exterior of black cedar shingles with copper gutters gone green from the salt gives it a certain sleekness. As someone who notices details in his surroundings, Statham took cues on materiality from diverse buildings and homes, namely those of Richard Neutra. “I wanted to retain what was there before but make it look more robust,” says the actor, who opened the almost 4,000-square-foot layout so “at all times you’re connected with the sea.”
Uncle Jack said:
I would have said that this use of "materiality" is wrong, and I cannot see why the writer could not just have written "materials"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think Uncle Jack can best answer that question. (I wouldn't have said "I would have" there at all.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're still asking questions about would? Yes, it is a very hard word to learn. Here's a tip: you often have to look beyond the word itself to the surrounding context, because often it's best understood as part of a longer phrase. In this case, you should be enquiring about the entire phrase I would've said (that) ...

You're evidently already familiar with the phrase I'd say (that) .... This is a phrase used by people who want to give an answer to a question when they're not completely confident that what they're saying is right. The 'would' part of the phrase is a way to 'distance' themselves from the answer, in order to show that they may be mistaken, and so do not want to be taken too authoritatively.

In the case of Uncle Jack's I would have said, there is a double distancing going on. The first is the use of would and the second is the shift into the past tense. This shows that he wants to make it clear to people that he isn't very confident about his answer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't associate it with not being sure of one's answer at all. To me, "I would have said that ..." is a shorter way of saying "If you had asked me directly, I would have said that ...".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't associate it with not being sure of one's answer at all. To me, "I would have said that ..." is a shorter way of saying "If you had asked me directly, I would have said that ...".

I don't really follow your thinking here. In the context we're talking about, the forum member was asked, since the questions are directly open to all.

A: How many people were at the gig last night?
B: I'd say there were about a hundred.

Would you also consider answer B to be a gloss of If you asked me, I would say ... ? Where's the conditionality exactly? The question is very real and direct.

Imagine I ask you what your home address is. Would you respond with I'd say it's 22 Acacia Avenue? No, because you have to fully commit to an answer of this kind. We only use I'd say when we're not fully committed to the veracity or authority of our answers.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think both emsr2d2 and jutfrank are correct in saying that "would have" is prefacing a tentative answer.
For example:
If you had asked me (for my personal opinion), I would have said ...
If you had asked me to give you a quick and simple answer, I would have said ...
If you had asked me, I would have said ... but now I realize there's more to it ...

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
You're still asking questions about would? Yes, it is a very hard word to learn. Here's a tip: you often have to look beyond the word itself to the surrounding context, because often it's best understood as part of a longer phrase. In this case, you should be enquiring about the entire phrase I would've said (that) ...

You're evidently already familiar with the phrase I'd say (that) .... This is a phrase used by people who want to give an answer to a question when they're not completely confident that what they're saying is right. The 'would' part of the phrase is a way to 'distance' themselves from the answer, in order to show that they may be mistaken, and so do not want to be taken too authoritatively.

In the case of Uncle Jack's I would have said, there is a double distancing going on. The first is the use of would and the second is the shift into the past tense. This shows that he wants to make it clear to people that he isn't very confident about his answer.
What a brilliant explanation! I have learnt second and third conditional statements.But when I find such sentences which is a unstated condition, I try very hard to think of what the implied contidition is. But you're right that there is no condition involved in the use of uncertainty-stating "would" in this case. Most peaple have said "if you asked me," for the hidden condition, obviously this doesn't make sense because the questioner does ask people directly.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I think both emsr2d2 and jutfrank are correct in saying that "would have" is prefacing a tentative answer.
For example:
If you had asked me (for my personal opinion), I would have said ...
If you had asked me to give you a quick and simple answer, I would have said ...
If you had asked me, I would have said ... but now I realize there's more to it ...
Well, that doesn't make sense. A does ask B or forum members, for example. I think there is no implied condition when "would" is used to cast doubt on a statement.