Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is the phrase "if I die, my kids are orphans" grammatical? Should it be "if I die, my kids will be orphans"?

===============
Poppy War tweeted replying to a tweet saying young healthy people should be vaccinated in replying Joe Biden's receiving second dose of COVID-19 vaccine:

I agree! The elderly have lived their lives. I'm a 37-year-old raising a family. Being that I am a widow, if I die, my kids are orphans. Its bull***t that they are giving the vaccine to those over 80 right now. They will probably die of something else in the next couple years.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your version is correct and natural, but so is the tweet. I'll go out on a limb and guess that it's a mixed conditional.

If X, Y is a short way to say "If X is true then Y is also true."

I won't comment on the opinion expressed in the tweet.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Is the [STRIKE]phrase[/STRIKE] sentence "if I die, my kids are orphans" grammatical?
Yes, it is. That is called the zero conditional. It indicates a general inevitability (full certainty). Think of "are" as "become".

Should it be "if I die, my kids will be orphans"?
This is also grammatical and possible. It is the first conditional structure. It is looking at a particular situation and what will happen in the future to those kids if the parent dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.