If there is glass of water and someone has taken a sip out of it.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please check my sentences.

If there is glass of water and someone has taken a sip out of it so the glass is not clean and if somebody wants to take a sip from the same glass not knowing that someone has already sipped it. We will say "the glass is not clean or the water is not clean. It is sipped". Am I correct? But what do we say in case of "a plate of food"?

I'd say:

Someone has drunk/taken a sip from the glass.
Someone has eaten from the plate.

Please check my sentences.

If there is glass of water and someone has taken a sip out of it so the glass is not clean and if then somebody else wants to take a sip from the same glass not knowing that someone has already sipped it, We will we can say "The glass is not clean" or "The water is not clean. It is sipped". Am I correct? But What do we say in the case of no quotation marks here a plate of food no quotation marks here?
Note my corrections above.
You can say "The glass isn't clean" but not "The water isn't clean". "It is sipped" is incorrect. Try something like "Someone's already taken a sip/drink from that glass. I don't think you should drink from it".
In the case of the plate, I probably wouldn't say anything. There's nothing wrong with taking food from someone else's plate (if they've given you permission). I wouldn't recommend using the same cutlery that someone else has already used though.

Does the same go for bottles or other utensils?
You can't say "Someone drank out of that glass already" if you're referring to a bottle. Please give us the sentences you want to use (referring to bottles and "other utensils") and we'll see if you get them right.

Does the same go for bottles or other utensils?
I suppose you could use a similar phrase for a bottle. (Why you would need to is perhaps another question.) What you mean by "other utensils" is a mystery to me.

You can't say "Someone drank out of that glass already" if you're referring to a bottle. Please give us the sentences you want to use (referring to bottles and "other utensils") and we'll see if you get them right.
1) Somebody has already drunk from that bottle.
2) Someone has taken a sip out of this bottle.
3) Someone has already taken a sip out of this bowl.
4) Someone has already eaten from this plate so the food is not clean. You should take another plate with fresh food.
5) Someone has taken a morsel out of my plate so I am not eating this food. I need a fresh food.

1) Somebody has already drunk from this bottle.
2) Someone has taken a sip out of this bottle. ✅
3) Someone has already taken a sip out of this bowl. See below.
4) Someone has already eaten from this plate so the food is not clean. You should take another plate with fresh food. See below.
5) Someone has taken a morsel out of my plate so I am not eating this food. I need a fresh food. See below.
1. You missed a word.
2. Correct.
3. Hmmm. We don't sip/drink out of bowls here so, for me, that's wrong. If we have something in a bowl, we use a spoon or a fork.
4. No. It's got nothing to do with the food. The food the other person ate is in their stomach. The rest of the food is still on the plate, untouched. What makes you think it's not clean?

5. No. This sounds as if they bit the plate! Don't put an article before "fresh food" in the second sentence.

1. You missed a word.
2. Correct.
3. Hmmm. We don't sip/drink out of bowls here so, for me, that's wrong. If we have something in a bowl, we use a spoon or a fork.
4. No. It's got nothing to do with the food. The food the other person ate is in their stomach. The rest of the food is still on the plate, untouched. What makes you think it's not clean?

5. No. This sounds as if they bit the plate! Don't put an article before "fresh food" in the second sentence.
We consider it unhygienic in India. We don't eat from the same plate. If someone is eating from a plate. It is their food. We call it "jhoota" in hindi

Can I say "someone has taken a morsel or two out of this food. I need fresh food"?

Somebody has eaten off of that plate.

Did they take one bite and leave?

Somebody has eaten off of that plate.

Did they take one bite and leave?
Yes, they ate a little bit and left so it was unnoticeable whether someone ate off of that plate or not.

Yes, they ate a little bit and left so it was unnoticeable whether someone ate off of that plate or not.
You had to have watched them do that. How odd!

We consider it unhygienic in India. We don't eat from the same plate as someone else. If someone is eating from a plate, it is their plate and their food. We call it "jhoota" in Hindi.
What exactly do you call "jhoota"? Is it the idea that you can't share a plate with someone or is it taking food from someone else's plate?
Can I say "Someone has taken eaten a morsel or two out of this food from this plate. I need fresh food a clean plate"?
Although "morsel" is an acceptable English word, it's very old-fashioned. I'd use "mouthful".
The scenario you're describing has nothing to do with the freshness of the food.

What exactly do you call "jhoota"? Is it the idea that you can't share a plate with someone or is it taking food from someone else's plate?

Although "morsel" is an acceptable English word, it's very old-fashioned. I'd use "mouthful".
The scenario you're describing has nothing to do with the freshness of the food.
No it has nothing to do with sharing. If someone is eating from one plate so it is considered used and another person doesn't usually eat from it.

1) Someone has eaten a mouthful from this plate so I need a clean plate.

2) Someone has eaten a mouthful or two. Is it also correct?

No it has nothing to do with sharing. If someone is eating from one plate so it is considered used and another person doesn't usually eat from it.
That was already made clear previously. You are beating a dead horse.

1) Someone has eaten a mouthful from this plate so I need a clean plate.

2) Someone has eaten a mouthful or two.
The first one sort of makes sense.

Has that ever happened?

1. You're at a restaurant. You're eating your food. Some total stranger eats something out of your plate.

2. You're at a restaurant. You're eating your food. An acquaintance eats something out of your plate.

3. You're at a restaurant. You're eating your food. One of your children eats something out of your plate.

I suppose all of them are possible. However, in the the third instance it's hard to see how you get a new plate of food.

Would you really ask for a clean plate?

Back