Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all users!

I think I understand the meaning of the below-mentioned sentence but I don't think the beginning of the sentence is written grammatically well.

In case if replacement of the units shown in Appendix № X will be required after the fault detection of the engines, then their cost will be determined additionally and "List of actually replaced spare parts, included in Appendix № X" will be agreed with the Customer.

In my opinion, it should read as follows:

In case (that) replacement of the units shown in Appendix № X is required after the fault detection of the engines, their cost will be determined additionally and "List of actually replaced spare parts, included in Appendix № X" will be agreed with the Customer.

As far as ""List of actually replaced spare parts, included in Appendix № X" will be agreed with the Customer" is concerned, I think that the thing that will be agreed (on) with the Customer is the mentioned list which (the list not the spare parts) is included in Appendix № X.

Am I right?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all users!

I think I understand the meaning of the below-mentioned sentence but I don't think the beginning of the sentence is written grammatically well.

In case if replacement of the units shown in Appendix № X will be required after the fault detection of the engines, then their cost will be determined additionally and "List of actually replaced spare parts, included in Appendix № X" will be agreed with the Customer.

In my opinion, it should read as follows:

In case (that) replacement of the units shown in Appendix № X is required after the fault detection of the engines, their cost will be determined additionally and "List of actually replaced spare parts, included in Appendix № X" will be agreed with the Customer.

As far as ""List of actually replaced spare parts, included in Appendix № X" will be agreed with the Customer" is concerned, I think that the thing that will be agreed (on) with the Customer is the mentioned list which (the list not the spare parts) is included in Appendix № X.

Am I right?

Thank you.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have reduced the space between the lines but I had to copy the original text and paste it in here. Our home PC makes it impossible for me to finish typing text. Before you know it, the computer screen flashes "the operation is over" or something like that and you can't even save the text. I am writing this to let you know that I do try to follow your rules but sometimes it is technically impossible. Today I managed to reduce the space between lines in another thread because I was working on the computer in my workplace. These computers are "wiser". Could you answer my question? Could you cut out the first part with too large spaces between lines? I cannot do it.

Please do answer my question.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Could you also reply about this?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes. It is about future.

J

J&K Tutoring

In case replacement of the units shown in Appendix № X is required after the fault detection of the engines, their cost will be determined additionally and "List of actually replaced spare parts, included in Appendix № X" will be agreed with the Customer.

1. Faults are detected in an engine. As written, it sounds as if the engines are doing the detecting.
2. As written, "their cost" would refer to the engines; not the replacement parts. This kind of legal writing must be very precise.
3. The agreement must come before the replacement of parts, so parts "actually replaced" wouldn't make sense.
4. Spare parts are not replaced. Original parts are replaced by spares.

I suggest:
In case replacement of the units shown in Appendix № X is required after a fault detection in the engines, the cost of said repairs will be determined separately and a list of parts to be replaced will be agreed with the Customer before work proceeds.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The document that I have received comes from Latvia.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What about Appendix № X? Could it be mentioned that a list of parts to be replaced is to be/will be included in Appendix № X or should the appendix be left out?

Sometimes it is possible to step in and edit text on the Internet if our PC does not play a joke on us. Today is such a day, I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.