Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
India has in place policies to monitor and restrict air pollution, but they can be difficult to enforce, experts say.(These Indian engineers are turning diesel pollution into ink byweforum)

What does "in place" mean?

In place policies mean the policies have established but not carried out yet?

Does "... in place policies" mean the policies have been established but not carried out yet?

See my corrections above.

We know that the policies are in place but are apparently difficult to enforce. That doesn't mean that they're not being acted upon. It simply means that the policies aren't very successful at the moment.

You might have read the sentence in a wrong way, Maybo. I'll change the word order just in case:

India has policies to monitor and restrict air pollution
in place, ...

How about "policies in place"?

My point was that the "policies" is not premodified by "in place" in that sentence.
:)

According to the dictionaries, in place means working or established. So does "policies in place" mean policies which are working or established ?

Last edited:
You might have read the sentence in a wrong way, Maybo. I'll change the word order just in case:

in place, ...

I don't get it. Is it adverb phrase? I thought it was adjective.

According to the dictionaries, in place means working or established. So does "policies in place" mean policies which are working or established?
I think you'll find the answer within your post. :)

in place, ...

I still don't get it. If "working" is the meaning of "in place", then is the sentence be "Indian has policies to monitor and restrict air pollution working"?

Is it adverb phrase? I thought it was adjective.
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, because I'm not a grammarian.
I'm sorry.

I still don't get it. If "working" is the meaning of "in place", then is the sentence be "Indian has policies to monitor and restrict air pollution working"?

Please read emsr2d2's post #4 again.

Please read emsr2d2's post #4 again.

In that post "in place" is adjective, is it still adjective and does it has the same meaning when it is put at the end of sentence? I don't get post5's sentence structure.

Last edited:
Can I say 'the government do nothing to monitor the prisoners in place'? If it's correct, I think I get it.

You've misunderstood the grammar of the original sentence, where in place is not an adjective but an adverbial. You're seeing it as an adjective due to its position before the noun policies.

Maybe you could think of it like this: the sentence uses an alternative phrasing of the structure have something in place, to make have in place something. This is what post #5 was trying to tell you.

Look at the following pairs of sentences. The second sentence in each pair is an alternative phrasing of the first. The blue phrases are adverbial.

There is an apple on the table.
There is on the table an apple.

I have an idea in mind.
I have in mind an idea.

The government has put the new policy in place.
The government has put in place the new policy.

India has in place policies to monitor and restrict air pollution, but they can be difficult to enforce, experts say.

Interestingly, the meaning of the sentence would scarcely change if "in place" were simply deleted.

India has policies to monitor and restrict air pollution, but they can be difficult to enforce, experts say.

With "in place," the sentence simply says: India has policies instituted to monitor and restrict air pollution . . . .

If a country has certain policies, it follows that it has those policies instituted. And if it has them instituted, it has already instituted them. :)

You've misunderstood the grammar of the original sentence, where in place is not an adjective but an adverbial. You're seeing it as an adjective due to its position before the noun policies.

Maybe you could think of it like this: the sentence uses an alternative phrasing of the structure have something in place, to make have in place something. This is what post #5 was trying to tell you.

Look at the following pairs of sentences. The second sentence in each pair is an alternative phrasing of the first. The blue phrases are adverbial.

There is an apple on the table.

I have an idea in mind.
I have in mind an idea.

The government has put the new policy in place.
The government has put in place the new policy.
The underlined sentences' structure is new to me! I finally get it. :-D

That is new to me.
If my student wrote that sentence, I'd correct it. I think learners/non-native speakers of English should avoid that construction.

If my student wrote that sentence, I'd correct it. I think learners/non-native speakers of English should avoid that construction.

I agree. I was just trying to make a clear point to Maybo.

The phrase "in place" is unnecessary (but not not wrong). See below.

India has policies to monitor and restrict air pollution, but they are difficult to enforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back