Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My Japanese teacher told me the place she is living now are cold but she has heating so it's not a problem. It's uncommon to have heating in Hong Kong so many people can only wear more clothes. Taking a shower is challenging for me, especially if I need to wash my hair. Although it's tough, I still love cold weather because I hate being sweaty.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My Japanese teacher told me that the place where she's living now is cold, but she has heat so it's not a problem.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My Japanese teacher told me the place she is living now are is cold but she has heating so it's not a problem. It's uncommon to have heating in Hong Kong so the only thing many people can do is only wear more clothes. Taking a shower is challenging for me, especially if I need to wash my hair. Although it's tough, I still love cold weather because I hate being sweaty.
See above. I don't know why taking a shower is challenging. What does that have to do with the rest of the piece?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right now it's 54 degrees in Hong Kong. It's 39 degrees here.

Do you mean you don't have central heating? Do you not have any kind of heat?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
See above. I don't know why taking a shower is challenging. What does that have to do with the rest of the piece?
It's because I have to take off my clothes in the cold weather before taking the shower. While I am washing my hair, I don't have hot water on my body so my body is cold. Therefore, I have to do everything quickly while enduring the cold. If I have heating, my bathroom might be warmer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's because I have to take off my clothes in the cold weather before taking the a shower. While I am washing my hair, I don't have hot water on my body so my body is I get cold. Therefore, I have to do everything quickly while enduring the cold. If I have had heating, my bathroom might be warmer.
I agree that getting undressed in a cold bathroom isn't fun. So do you turn the shower off while you're washing your hair? While I'm lathering the shampoo on my hair, the hot water continues to run so my body stays nice and warm. Maybe try that! (I admit that it's not as environmentally friendly as your method!)
The problem of how that section relates to the rest remains. You've only told us what the weather is like where your Japanese teacher lives. That has no bearing on the temperature of your bathroom. You need to connect the two halves with something like "It's really cold here too at the moment".

(Saying "I have to take my clothes off in the cold weather" makes it sound as if you get undressed outside!)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An American might say it like this. (See below.)

It's uncommon to have heat in Hong Kong -- no radiators, no furnaces, no nothing! (I know people will say that's ungrammatical.)

It's amazing to me that you don't have heat in your apartment. Hong Kong is south of Charlotte, but not by that much. (If you were talking about Singapore it would make more sense to me.)

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
I'm from Taiwan originally and central heating was (maybe still is) unheard of, so I understand Mabo's reference of the challenge of taking a shower.

I don’t know much about Hong Kong but I would imagine the winter there is similar – with high humidity 54°F/12.2°C can feel very cold.

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don’t know much about Hong Kong but I would imagine the winter there is similar – with high humidity 54°F/12.2°C can feel very cold.
It will get warm again next week. :ROFLMAO:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo Is it the the older buildings that don't have central heating, or is it all of them?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
@Maybo Is it the the older buildings that don't have central heating, or is it all of them?
I guess only commercial/government buildings have central heating. Or maybe they don’t have central heating. They just turn down ac🤣.