Diary - Since I was sick, I hasn't had my Japanese class for three weeks.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Since I was sick, I hasn't had my Japanese class for three weeks. Therefore, I'm doing some revisions, and I've found I've forgotten half of what I've learnt, especially dates and numbers. It's hard to retrieve the things I learned after a long period of time. I'll have some Japanese classes next week. However, I've decided to learn by myself after the classes.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Since I was sick,
That means "because I was sick". You should say "Since I fell ill" or "Since I got sick".
I hasn't had my Japanese class for three weeks.
Always go over your own writing before submitting it. That's how you can catch and correct silly mistakes like that one.
Note also that when we give a period of time (in this case "three weeks", we use "for", not "since").
Therefore, I'm doing some revisions,
"revision" is uncountable in that sense (a student revising a course of study).
and I've found I've forgotten half of what I've learnt, especially dates and numbers. It's I find it hard to retrieve recall the things I learned after a long ago. period of time. I'll have some Japanese classes next week. However, I've decided to also study learn by myself after the class. es.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
That means "because I was sick". You should say "Since I fell ill" or "Since I got sick".
Yes, I mean “because I was sick”.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
After finishing the classes next week, I won’t learn with a teacher anymore, and I’ll learn by myself.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, I mean “because I was sick”.
Then say: "Because I've been sick, I haven't had (any) Japanese classes for three weeks".
After finishing the classes next week, I won’t learn with a teacher anymore; and I’ll (just) learn by myself.
You can change the last "learn" to "study" if you want, to avoid repeating "learn".

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can I say “Because I was sick three weeks ago, I haven’t had Japanese classes since?

I think I recovered a few days ago but I still wanted to rest so I haven’t had classes for three weeks.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say “Because I was sick three weeks ago, I haven’t had Japanese classes since?
That works.
I think I recovered a few days ago but I still wanted to rest so I haven’t had classes for three weeks.
That's a compound sentence. Where should the commas go?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Say: "Because I was sick, I haven't had Japanese classes for three weeks".
"I was sick three weeks ago" is slightly different. It suggests the illness was shorter.