Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"The way the prime minister is acting, I think it's safe to say that he falls in the same rank as Hitler."
"Player A cannot be placed in the same rank as B. Their playing style is entirely different.

I heard a similar sentence in a video. I looked up 'in the same rank as' but couldn't find a satisfactory answer.
Do the sentences make sense?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, they make sense. Have you consulted a dictionary to learn the several possible meanings of the word 'rank'?

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The word 'rank' has a sense of a level of quality or ability, so I don't think your second sentence works since you're talking about different styles.

Player A cannot be placed in the same rank as Player B.

This means that B is a much better player than A. It's not about having a different style.

Given that, you might see that your first sentence is no good either, unless you mean that that the two men are of equal quality.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
The word 'rank' has a sense of a level of quality or ability, so I don't think your second sentence works since you're talking about different styles.

This means that B is a much better player than A. It's not about having a different style.

Given that, you might see that your first sentence is no good either, unless you mean that that the two men are of equal quality.
What if player 'A' and player 'B' statistically fall in the same rank but one is a striker and the other one is a midfielder (talking about football/soccer).

"Player A cannot be placed in the same rank as Player B"

If I believed that being a striker is comparatively tougher so even though they have the same ranking as far as statistics go, player A is a much better footballer than player B.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What if player 'A' and player 'B' statistically fall in the same rank but one is a striker and the other one is a midfielder (talking about football/soccer).

Then they're of a different type, not a different rank.

If I believed that being a striker is comparatively tougher so even though they have the same ranking as far as statistics go, player A is a much better footballer than player B.

I don't really understand the sense of that.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh

Sorry for the bad example. Since there is not context, I just wanted to know what suggests that player B is better. Can't I say the same sentences to mean that player A is the better player?

Here's a similar sentence:
"As far as fitness goes, Vladimir Putin (A) cannot be placed in the same rank as Kim Jong Un (B)."

According to what you wrote up there B (Kim) is more fit that Putin (A).
Can't I say this sentence to say that Putin is more fit than Kim?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry for the bad example. Since there is not context, I just wanted to know what suggests that player B is better. Can't I say the same sentences to mean that player A is the better player?

Here's a similar sentence:
"As far as fitness goes, Vladimir Putin (A) cannot be placed in the same rank as Kim Jong Un (B)."

According to what you wrote up there B (Kim) is more fit that Putin (A).
Can't I say this sentence to say that Putin is more fit than Kim?
No. According to those sentences it's the other way around.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
No. According to those sentences it's the other way around.
If I believed that Kim is the worst of all dictators.
"As far as dictatorship goes, Pervez Musharraf cannot be placed in the same rank as Kim Jong Un."

This sentence would mean that Kim is worse/more evil than Pervez Musharraf right?

(Please note that I don't have any opinion on any politician whatsoever. Or at least I don't like expressing my opinions about them in public.
I merely found the names on an Australian site: https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/catalog/3873178 )