Is 'He saw before him was not a horse, but a bear' grammatical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2k5

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Thailand
Is 'He saw before him was not a horse, but a bear' grammatical?
Can I add a 'was' or 'was's into the original sentence?

Original: A horse! He could not believe his eyes. A thick cloud was in his eyes, flashing with points of light. He rubbed his eyes fiercely to clear his sight. Then he saw before him not a horse, but a great brown bear. The animal was studying him with curiosity.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is 'He saw before him was not a horse, but a bear no full stop here' grammatical?
Can I add a 'was' no slash here or 'was's into the original sentence? "Was's" isn't a word.

Original: A horse! He could not believe his eyes. A thick cloud was in his eyes, flashing with points of light. He rubbed his eyes fiercely to clear his sight. Then he saw before him not a horse, but a great brown bear. The animal was studying him with curiosity.

No, your sentence isn't grammatical. To add "was", you'd have to say "He saw that the animal before him was not a horse, but a bear". The original should be read as "Then he saw, before him, not a horse but a great brown bear".
I'm sure you can see that if you remove "before him", which is additional information giving the location of the animal, you can't add "was" to the surrounding sentence. You would end up with "Then he saw was not a horse, but a great brown bear".

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is 'He saw before him was not a horse, but a bear.' grammatical?
Can I add a 'was'/or 'was's into the original sentence?

If you add 'what' to the beginning of the sentence, then yes: What he saw before him was not a horse, but a bear.

c2k5

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Thailand
No, your sentence isn't grammatical. To add "was", you'd have to say "He saw that the animal before him was not a horse, but a bear".
If you add 'what' to the beginning of the sentence, then yes: What he saw before him was not a horse, but a bear.
Thank you, I can understand the two sentences above.

Is inversion, such as #2, #4, and #6 unnatural or ungrammatical?
#1 A bear was before him.
#2 Before him was a bear.
#3 Not a horse but a bear was before him.
#4 Before him was not a horse but a bear.
#5 He saw not a horse but a bear was before him.
#6 He saw before him was not a horse but a bear.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, I can understand these the two sentences above.

Is inversion, like such as in #2, #4, and #6 below not unnatural or not ungrammatical?

1. A bear was before him. ✅
2. Before him was a bear. ✅
3. Not a horse but a bear was before him. Grammatically correct but very unlikely.
4. Before him was not a horse but a bear. ✅
5. He saw that not a horse but a bear was before him. Note my correction.
6. He saw before him was not a horse but a bear. Note my correction. You used this version in post #1 and we already told you that it's incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.