Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

I

I do recall reading somewhere that we should avoid repeatingthe same word in a simple sentence.
Can I use the word, “for”, twice in the sentence below?

Do also prepare for the cargo loading for next week.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There is no such rule. However, the first "for" is optional, but not because of the "repetition rule" you mentioned. But "for" is required in the case of "get ready for".

Do also prepare [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] the cargo loading for next week.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The second 'for' is not necessary in that sentence, though, as ted noted, there is no rule against repeating words if they are essential for the meaning.

He asked me for my autograph for his daughter

Piscean

I think there is a difference if we omit for in the second part of the sentence.

Do also prepare for the cargo loading next week. - this means the preparation is to be done next week for cargo loading which could be later.
Do also prepare for the cargo loading for next week. - this means the cargo loading is scheduled for next week, so the preparation should be done earlier.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That "rule" you mentioned is actually just advice, not a rule.

It doesn't refer to the thousands of small words that glue sentences together, like for, the, said, can, or with.

And it's not just about words in a single sentence. It's about the words that carry the important thoughts in a sentence, paragraph, or entire piece of writing. For instance, I just read an old novel where the writer used the word "ejaculated" fourteen times. If the writer had used "said," I would never have noticed. (Yes, I counted.)

The idea is simply that repetition is good when it's intentional (like in a song, a poem, or a speech) but often distracting, annoying, or tedious in ordinary prose.

Examples:

- I went to his house to see if he was at his house.

- It's critical that we address critical issues that arise at critical times during a crisis.

- Don't repeat your repetitions repeatedly. And don't make me repeat myself by repeating them after I've said repeatedly not to repeat them.

Last edited:

DANAU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks Charlie for elaborating with the nice examples. I understand now.
As for your last example, I am afraid I may need you to repeat at times because I am still struggling to grasp some of the concepts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Charlie for elaborating with the nice examples. I understand now.
As for your last example, I am afraid I may need you to repeat at times because I am still struggling to grasp some of the concepts.
Thanks - you made me laugh!

The American union organizer Cesar Chavez liked to say that the three rules of organizing are: Repetition, repetition, repetition.

You can say that again!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that it's a good idea not to unnecessarily repeat nouns, verbs and adjectives within the same sentence, especially when the two instances of the word are close together. Prepositions are a different story.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I just read an old novel where the writer used the word "ejaculated" fourteen times. If the writer had used "said," I would never have noticed.
Students are advised not to use 'ejaculated' in this context — you may be misunderstood.

(Stop giggling at the back, you lot!)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It must be annoying when students "ejaculate" all over the text.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Status
Not open for further replies.