Is it right to pronounce 'stomach' in this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Are you sure she's a native speaker? It's hard to tell from a single word, but I think I hear a foreign accent.

Have you listened to the samples at forvo.com?

She doesn't sound like a native speaker to me (unless she has a regional accent I'm not familiar with and in which that pronunciation is common). As far as I know, pretty much every variant of English pronounces it as if it starts with "stum". Hers starts with "stom", as if she is someone who is used to pronouncing words phonetically.

I'd like to hear her say "won" and "stunning".

Is it right to pronounce 'stomach' in this way?
She is a native speaker.
https://vocaroo.com/1iZKBqjsng3P

At the risk of boring you with the same message over and over again, please use Forvo! You don't need to guess whether someone is a native speaker or which variant they use. It's clearly shown by their username. You can trust the pronunciations on that site!

I opened the video but I didn't bother skipping on to the relevant time. In the first 30 seconds, she mispronounces "pronunciation", saying "pronounciation". As far as I'm concerned, if she can't even get that right, there's little point taking any other advice from her.

Edit: I listened to the first 90 seconds of the video. She's clearly not a native English speaker. She makes the same "o" error in "other" (I mean the same error she made in "stomach"). She pronounces it as if rhymes with "bother". It doesn't. My guess is she's either Scandinavian or possibly from somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
She definitely isn't a native speaker.

She doesn't sound Scandinavian. I'd guess she's Polish or Czech.

She definitely isn't a native speaker.

She doesn't sound Scandinavian. I'd guess she's Polish or Czech.

I think you are right with your Polish idea

I think you are right with your Polish idea.

Remember to end every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.

Not a teacher
------

As a Pole on a crusade against bad teaching overwhelming schools in Poland, I got understandably interested when it was mentioned she might be from Poland.

She doesn't make typical pronunciation mistakes made by people from Poland, at least not those I'm familiar with. Some of her vowels sound off, but they don't sound Polish.

I've done some research (admittedly, not much of it). It turns out she's from Belgium, and her native language is German.

It turns out she's from Belgium, and her native language is German.

Since German isn't one of the official languages of Belgium, I wouldn't say she's "from" Belgium. She might live there now, but she must be from a country where German is an official language.

Since German isn't one of the official languages of Belgium, I wouldn't say she's "from" Belgium. She might live there now, but she must be from a country where German is an official language.

I simply said what the website says. The website says "Nationality - Belgian. Languages - English, French, German (native)". I take it that she's written it herself. Doesn't nationality suggest where she's from?

I take it all back. Apparently, the three official languages of Belgium are Dutch, French and German! I honestly did not know that. I thought they were Flemish and French! So yes, it appears she grew up in the German-speaking part of Belgium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back