Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
UK
Hello, everyone. Lately, I've been getting comments about my accent and how weird it sounds. In my country, we are taught British English, and that means most students in my school have the same accent. However, I moved to the UK two months ago, and natives keep commenting on my how I sound. If you have some tips on how to improve, I'd be grateful.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0gk8enf4rli

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think your voice sounds nice. Your pronunciation is very good considering that you've only been in the UK for two months. I'm confident that in a relatively short time, you will naturally begin to start sounding more like your new peers.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You really don't have much to worry about- your accent is fine. Where are you living in the UK? I can't help wondering whether what sounds strange to them is that quite a few of your sounds are standard. Do they speak with a regional accent?

When making recordings like this, it is better to try to speak naturally- when people read a written text, intonation can become a bit artificial.

Jinnaweasley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
UK
I currently live in London. What I have noticed is that other people's accents here are much more relaxed. I'm not sure whether it's my way of pronouncing words or just the emphatic quality present in my voice itself :D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some of your sounds might sound a bit "posh" then, which isn't a bad thing. Mind you, you may find yourself adopting things like the glottal stop, which is a feature of the area in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.