Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is the usage correct - "occur/exist" coupled with "out of [place]"

Hello.

I've had a conversation with a native English speaker where we talked about certain literary works. It turned into a language discussion, and I asked him a question:
"Is 'speakwrite' an actual word that occurs out of Orwell's novel?", meaning "is it a real word, or the one made up as many others from Newspeak are?"

Somehow he believed I've made a typo and was asking whether it's a word out of Orwell's novel (which it is), so he said yes. It made for a funny misunderstanding, but I got worried there might be something about that sentence that I am missing.

I have the following questions:
1) Is the way I used the sentence correct, does it sound natural? If not, how should it be altered to carry the intended meaning?
2) Is it correct to say "does a word exist out/outside of Orwell's novel", and can the prepositions be used interchangeably? This couldn't have happened if I used "outside of" instead.
3) Is there a difference between "occur" and "exist" in the context of the phrase?

Thank you in advance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Is the usage correct - "occur/exist" coupled with "out of [place]"

1. No, it's not very natural. "Is that a real word, or is it one Orwell made up for his 'Newspeak'?"

2. "Outside of" is correct.

3. Use "exist." That's what you are asking. Does it exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.