Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,
Could you, please, help me?
I believe "extinct" is an adjective, isn't it?
Like in the sentence below:
The ice in the North Pole is melting and polar bears will probably become extinct.
How would I say it in a different way, if I want to say that polar bears are in the possess of becoming extinct? Can I ever use " extinct" as a verb on its own? Or should I use an other verb and if so which one?

Thank you very much in advance

Polar bears are dying out.

You're right that extinct is an adjective. It can't be used as a verb. There is no verb that means precisely to go extinct.

Hello.
Could you (no comma here) please (no comma here) help me?

I believe "extinct" is an adjective. [STRIKE]isn't it?[/STRIKE] This tag question doesn't work after a sentence starting with "I believe". If you want to use the tag question "isn't it?", start with "Extinct is an adjective, ..."

[STRIKE]Like[/STRIKE] For example, [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] see the sentence below:

The ice [strike]in[/strike] at the North Pole is melting and polar bears will probably become extinct.

How would I say it in a different way, if I want to say that polar bears are in the [STRIKE]possess[/STRIKE] process of becoming extinct? Can I ever use "extinct" as a verb on its own? [STRIKE]Or[/STRIKE] If not, should I use an other verb and if so which one?

Thank you very much in advance. Unnecessary but, if you must use it, end with a full stop.

See my comments and corrections above.

When I was a child, no one said "go/went" extinct. We used only "become/became extinct". The use of "go" has become much more common these days.
However, that doesn't change the answer. You can't use "extinct" as a verb.

Polar bears are in danger of becoming extinct.
Polar bears are in danger of going extinct.
Polar bears are on the way to becoming extinct.
Polar bears are on the way to going extinct.
Polar bears are dying out.

That works but "extinction" is a noun so it still doesn't fulfil the OP's request for a verb. The full phrase would be "to be in danger of extinction" which effectively means the same as my suggestions of "to be in danger of going/becoming extinct".

Being in danger of extinction is a change of meaning from that requested.

Hello, emsr2d2
Thanks for the corrections, I really appreciate your help. Unfortunately for you they've risen two questions, which now I have to ask.
1 Are there any simple rules for using commas? Because commas in English are used in totally different way than in my language, so it is a total mystery for me.

2 I found the sentence "the ice in the North Pole is melting and polar bears will probably become extinct'' in the New English File and it was written with in not at.

Do you think it was a typo or you can use both in and at in this sentence?

Thanks

1, Click here.

2. Only 'at' is correct.

I'll say that if, as you say, you want to focus on the process of extinction, then the best verb phrase would be become extinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back