Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
He lost his son.

Is there 'one syllable word' that can replace the word 'lost in the above sentence without changing the meaning of the sentence i.e his son is killed.

The sentence should not have more than 4 syllables.

He lost his son.

Is there one syllable word that can replace the word "lost" in the above sentence without changing the meaning of the sentence i.e his son was killed.

The sentence should not have more than 4 syllables.

Well, "He lost his son" simply means his son died. It doesn't indicate how. Also, instead of "He lost his son" you can say "His son died."

He lost his son.

Is there a one-syllable word that can replace the word "lost" in the above sentence without changing the meaning of the sentence, i.e "His son [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] has been/was killed"?

The sentence should not have more than [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] four syllables.

Please note my corrections above.

Bear in mind that "He lost his son" doesn't necessarily mean that his son was killed. It simply means his son died. We don't know how his death came about.
If you know for a fact that the son was killed, "His son was killed" is a four-syllable sentence that retains that meaning. If you don't know the cause of death, you really have only "He lost his son".
Why are you trying to write a sentence with only four syllables?

The sentence is from a piece of poetry.

Killed, died and lost are bit harsh, I am looking forward to a euphemism that must be of one syllable word because ithat poetic line follows iambic pentameter.

That context should have been given in post #1, Nasir.

The sentence is from a [STRIKE]piece of poetry[/STRIKE] poem.

"Killed", "died" and "lost" are bit harsh. I am looking [STRIKE]forward to[/STRIKE] for a euphemism that must be [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] a one-syllable word because [STRIKE]ithat poetic line[/STRIKE] the poem [STRIKE]follows[/STRIKE] is written in iambic pentameter.

Please note my corrections above.

How about "His son is gone"?

Or his son has died.

Last edited:
His son has passed is less harsh,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back