Is this a proper way of using prepositions and adjectives in an essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irfan yaqub

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Topic: Smacking children is the best form of discipline. Give your opinion.

Teaching children manners with strict rules still exist in the 20th century. In the opinion of some parents, beating children is the best way to discipline them. This essay will argue that smacking children to teach them a lesson is completely unnecessary.

Some parents want to use power to teach their children a lesson as they think this will affect them for a longer run. Also, these people got their lesson from their ancestors this way and they think it is only the finest way. Indeed, there are some kids and they behave very improper way and parents do use force to scare them to do so. By Punishing their children some parents think they can correct their children’s morals.

However, it is even dangerous for kids because children will fear their parents instead of respecting them. The idea of scaring children instead of talking them through the problem is completely preposterous. The research at different social forums shows that physically punishing children will affect negatively their behaviour. To illustrate, most of the criminals in different jails narrates that “in childhood, they have faced some serious abuse from their parents”. Also, it can certainly affect their social life as they are scared to interact with elder people.

This essay argued that people who punish their children are not quite at a good way of parenting. They most likely underestimate the consequences of smacking their children. That’s why I strongly disagree with the concept of using force on children to make them obedient.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You talk about the research but give no exmaples.

irfan yaqub

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You talk about the research but give no exmaples.
Thanks for the reply. could you please tell me if there is any grammatical error ?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. Replace "power" with "spanking". Also, instead of using " ancestors" there say those people learned what they know from their parents and think it is the best way.

irfan yaqub

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Two things. Replace "power" with "spanking". Also, instead of using " ancestors" there say those people learned what they know from their parents and think it is the best way.
Thank you so much. It means I have to work on my synonyms.

irfan yaqub

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
While you're at it, concentrate on your spelling. Your title uses "propositions" instead of "prepositions". They have very different meanings.
Absolutely right. Is there any suggestion on how can I improve my spelling? I usually practice on word-document.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Sometimes children misbehave, and their parents punish them for that. The hope is that the children will stop doing those things that get them in trouble.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Absolutely right. Is there any suggestion on how can I improve my spelling? I usually practise on a Word no hyphen here document.
Read everything at least twice before posting. Also, install an English spell-checker on your browser. Bear in mind, though, that it won't pick up all spelling errors. It wouldn't have found this one because "propositions" is an English word. It's just not the one you needed.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you practise your spelling by using a Word document. Note that, in BrE, "practise" is a verb and "practice" is noun.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On this Android device it automatically corrects misspelled words. In fact, it makes it hard to misspell words on purpose. (Not that I would normally want to do that.)

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Sweden
I think you should add statistics. What happens if when raising a child to spank and not to spank.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Clarissa, I think you should correct the information on your profile page first.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you should add statistics. What happens if when raising a child to spank and not to spank.
Try:

What are the differences in outcomes between people who spank their kids and those who don't?

The original (second sentence) doesn't make sense.

I don't know that you can determine that with statistics. (What kind?)

It's an interesting question. Nobody wants to hit their kids. On the other hand, they often don't seem to respond to anything but a paddling.

(Nobody had replied to this one in a while.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just noticed something. It's the 21st century. No, I didn't just notice that, but it seems that the writer of this essay is living in another era.

Note that there's a difference between punishment (a general category) and physical punishment (more specific). Also, "discipline" might be a better word to use.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Clarissa, your post contained a link to a cheating essay-writing site.

Any repetition of this will result in a permanent ban.

If you respond to threads again (after you have corrected the information on your profile page), you need to state that you are not a teacher, as required by the rules.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@irfan yaqub For the topic sentence, try:

Should spanking be considered an acceptable form of discipline?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@irfan yaqub For the topic sentence, try:

Should spanking be considered an acceptable form of discipline?
I doubt the OP can change the topic title. I assume it was given to them as it is (and there's nothing wrong with it).

Status
Not open for further replies.