is too restrictive a solution here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously full template specialization is too restrictive a solution here.
Is the grammar of the bold part correct?
Yes, it is. That structure is natural and useful. Learn it.
The sentence means:
Obviously, full template specialization is a solution that is too restrictive here.

How about "is a too restrictive solution here"?
No. That is ungrammatical.

How about "is a too restrictive solution here."?
No. That is ungrammatical.
I think that, with a hyphen (cf. a too-long book), the phrase would have a fighting chance of being grammatical: a too-restrictive solution.

However, I prefer an overly restrictive solution to a too-restrictive solution. Also, as Teechar indicates, is too restrictive a solution works perfectly.

I think that, with a hyphen (cf. a too-long book), the phrase would have a fighting chance of being grammatical: a too-restrictive solution.
Yes, such a structure exists out there, but it's not common. I've always assumed it was non-standard, and I recommend that learners do not use it.

However, I prefer an overly restrictive solution to a too-restrictive solution.
Indeed, that works.

What a difference a hyphen can make! I completely missed that possibility. I find it completely acceptable. I bet it's appeared in The Economist many times. It looks like the kind of economical prose its editors favor.

Learners, this is a great demonstration of the importance of correct punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back