Isn’t it enough that their struggle is, objectively, just?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quang Hai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I am reading Trip to Hanoi by Susan Sontag
She visits Hanoi during the war with America. She feels uncomfortable with Vietnamese language when they call American solders are "cruel thugs" or South Vietnam government are henchmen.

" There’s a committee here (someone had left a piece of stationery in the hotel lobby) for maintaining contact with South Vietnamese intellectuals, called "Committee of Struggle Against U.S. Imperialists and Henchmen’s Persecution of Intellectuals in South Vietnam." Henchmen! But aren’t they? In today’s Vietnam News Agency bulletin the American soldiers are called "cruel thugs." Although again the quaintness of phrase makes me smile, that is just what they are—from the vantage point of helpless peasants being napalmed by swooping diving metal birds. Still, quite apart from the quaintness of particular words, such language does make me uncomfortable. Whether because I am laggard or maybe just dissociated, I both assent to the unreserved moral judgment and shy away from it, too. I believe they are right. At the same time, nothing here can make me forget that events are much more complicated than the Vietnamese represent them. But exactly what complexities would I have them acknowledge? Isn’t it enough that their struggle is, objectively, just? Can they ever afford subtleties when they need to mobilize every bit of energy to continue standing up to the American Goliath? . Whatever I conclude, it seems to me I end up patronizing them."

I am not sure meaning of underlined sentence. Please kindly help me out. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Which part of the sentence is causing you problems?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Do I have to think about the fact that their objective is morally correct, when the facts are considered in an unbiased way?"

Last edited:

Quang Hai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
@jutfrank: The sentence structure is strange to me. What does "just" mean? May I read the sentence as: "Equitably,the fact that they are struggling so much is enough isn't it?"
@GoesStation: Thanks for your suggestion. I could guess that meaning of whole passage but struggling with meaning of the particular sentence.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
… What does "just" mean? ….

@GoesStation: Thanks for your suggestion. I could guess [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the meaning of the whole passage but I'm struggling with the meaning of the particular sentence.
I re-phrased the sentence, not the whole passage. See definition 2a of "just" here.

[Cross-posted]

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Quang Hai, please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

"Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed."

Status
Not open for further replies.