Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. What does the underlined sentence means in the context below?
Does it mean no one acknowledges me but life goes on?
-------------------------------------
(The speaker is at the dance party waiting for her friend. Her friend is mad at her and she isn't sure her friend is whether to come or not. She feels all alone.)
It hurts how life goes on, unknowing. All these kids walking by, heading to the dance floor or toward the hallway. Not even seeing me.

Source: Rules by Cynthia Lord

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. Unnecessary. Just go ahead with your question.
What does the underlined sentence means mean in the context below? Does it mean "no one acknowledges me but life goes on"?
-------------------------------------
(The speaker is at the a dance party waiting for her friend. Her friend is mad at her and she isn't sure whether her friend is whether going to come or not. She feels all alone.)
It hurts how life goes on, unknowing. All these kids walking by, heading to the dance floor or toward the hallway. Not even seeing me.

Source: "Rules" by Cynthia Lord
Without knowing more of the story, it's hard to tell. It could simply mean that the people around her continue to live their lives, unaware that she's had a fight with her friend and feels lonely. It could, however, be more complex than that and refer to something else those other kids don't know.

Remember that book titles (and TV/film titles) should either be enclosed in quotation marks or put in italics.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's something that people don't know, and this fact hurts the girl.