It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say a product pr an industry produces a lot of carbon dioxide. Can I use "Carbon-intensive"? Is it widely understood?

Are these okay?

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitation.

2. Governments should impose a higher tax on carbon-intensive industries such as car and oil industries.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are they okay?
I want to say a product pr an industry produces a lot of carbon dioxide. Can I use "Carbon-intensive"? Is it widely understood?

Are these okay?

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitation.

2. Governments should impose a higher tax on carbon-intensive industries such as car and oil industries.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Carbon-emitting products?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm asking if those sentences are okay.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think intensive works. You might want to use limitations as you're talking about products.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think intensive works. You might want to use limitations as you're talking about products.
Thank you! Are these okay?

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitations.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Sentence No.1 is about the impact of certain products on carbon footprint by emitting carbon dioxide. Do "carbon-intensive" products emit carbon dioxide?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Could you please not ask questions?

I just want to see if these two sentences are okay.

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitations.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you please not ask questions?
It was a reasonable question. We need to know whether you're talking about industries/products that use a lot of carbon (which is what I take "carbon-intensive" to mean), or that produce a lot of carbon dioxide.

I just want to see if these two sentences are okay.

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprints is are a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitations in huge/unsustainable numbers.

2. Governments should impose a higher tax on carbon-intensive industries such as the car and oil industries.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A labour-intensive industry makes use of a lot of labour. It follows that a carbon-intensive product makes use of a lot of carbon, rather than emits carbon dioxide. Thus sentence No.1 would not make sense as the two parts would be unrelated if "carbon-intensive" is used..

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Carbon-emitting products?

Carbon intensity is basically a measure of how much carbon is emitted in an industrial process. The products themselves don't emit anything, but they can be said to be 'carbon-intensive' in that they require relatively large quantities of carbon to be emitted in their production.

A labour-intensive industry makes use of a lot of labour. It follows that a carbon-intensive product makes use of a lot of carbon, rather than emits carbon dioxide. Thus sentence No.1 would not make sense as the two parts would be unrelated if "carbon-intensive" is used..

I can't follow your reasoning here. A carbon-intensive product doesn't really 'make use of' a lot of carbon, just that it requires a lot of carbon to be emitted as a consequence of its production.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Carbon intensity is basically a measure of how much carbon is emitted in an industrial process. The products themselves don't emit anything, but they can be said to be 'carbon-intensive' in that they require relatively large quantities of carbon to be emitted in their production.

I can't follow your reasoning here. A carbon-intensive product doesn't really 'make use of' a lot of carbon, just that it requires a lot of carbon to be emitted as a consequence of its production.
Okay, that is the technical definition related to industrial processes where "-intensive" refers specifically to emissions of pollutants. It probably does mean much to the uninitiated layman. The making of tyres and water filters are carbon-intensive processes too, but they have nothing to do with emissions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.