It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say a product pr an industry produces a lot of carbon dioxide. Can I use "Carbon-intensive"? Is it widely understood?

Are these okay?

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitation.

2. Governments should impose a higher tax on carbon-intensive industries such as car and oil industries.

Are they okay?
I want to say a product pr an industry produces a lot of carbon dioxide. Can I use "Carbon-intensive"? Is it widely understood?

Are these okay?

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitation.

2. Governments should impose a higher tax on carbon-intensive industries such as car and oil industries.

Carbon-emitting products?

I'm asking if those sentences are okay.

I think intensive works. You might want to use limitations as you're talking about products.

I think intensive works. You might want to use limitations as you're talking about products.
Thank you! Are these okay?

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitations.

Sentence No.1 is about the impact of certain products on carbon footprint by emitting carbon dioxide. Do "carbon-intensive" products emit carbon dioxide?

Could you please not ask questions?

I just want to see if these two sentences are okay.

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprint is a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitations.

Could you please not ask questions?
It was a reasonable question. We need to know whether you're talking about industries/products that use a lot of carbon (which is what I take "carbon-intensive" to mean), or that produce a lot of carbon dioxide.

I just want to see if these two sentences are okay.

1. It is hard to believe that at a time when carbon footprints is are a big issue for our planet, carbon-intensive products such as plastic sneakers are being produced without any limitations in huge/unsustainable numbers.

2. Governments should impose a higher tax on carbon-intensive industries such as the car and oil industries.

A labour-intensive industry makes use of a lot of labour. It follows that a carbon-intensive product makes use of a lot of carbon, rather than emits carbon dioxide. Thus sentence No.1 would not make sense as the two parts would be unrelated if "carbon-intensive" is used..

Last edited:
Carbon-emitting products?

Carbon intensity is basically a measure of how much carbon is emitted in an industrial process. The products themselves don't emit anything, but they can be said to be 'carbon-intensive' in that they require relatively large quantities of carbon to be emitted in their production.

A labour-intensive industry makes use of a lot of labour. It follows that a carbon-intensive product makes use of a lot of carbon, rather than emits carbon dioxide. Thus sentence No.1 would not make sense as the two parts would be unrelated if "carbon-intensive" is used..

I can't follow your reasoning here. A carbon-intensive product doesn't really 'make use of' a lot of carbon, just that it requires a lot of carbon to be emitted as a consequence of its production.

Carbon intensity is basically a measure of how much carbon is emitted in an industrial process. The products themselves don't emit anything, but they can be said to be 'carbon-intensive' in that they require relatively large quantities of carbon to be emitted in their production.

I can't follow your reasoning here. A carbon-intensive product doesn't really 'make use of' a lot of carbon, just that it requires a lot of carbon to be emitted as a consequence of its production.
Okay, that is the technical definition related to industrial processes where "-intensive" refers specifically to emissions of pollutants. It probably does mean much to the uninitiated layman. The making of tyres and water filters are carbon-intensive processes too, but they have nothing to do with emissions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back