Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In this clip about how the firefighter who saved a baby girl 17 years ago now watches her graduate from high school, Dawnielle, the girl, says:

"For some reason, it just doesn't really feel like me. I mean, that's obviously me, but it's just really hard to believe, sometimes."
From the video, it looks like she's talking about the baby girl (herself) in the picture the firefighter is holding. She's looking at the picture while talking, like she's saying that she doesn't recognize herself in the picture, and the article could well be about a complete stranger because she doesn't feel like it's her.

However, at the very end, she adds sometimes that changes the narration completely, in my opinion. Now it looks like she's talking about the whole situation and her life in general, like she can't believe it's her life, and the baby girl in the picture is not what she's talking about specifically, but her life as a whole.

I'm wondering if you agree with me about how her final sometimes changes the perception of what she's saying, and also if there's a term that describes adding a word, or a phrase, at the end of a sentence that changes the narration completely.

"Don't worry. It's not going to hurt, much," said the doctor.
"That was really good, for a woman," said the sexist judge in AGT.
"I have not cheated on you, yet," said the unfaithful husband.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think sometimes means 'sometimes when I look at that photo'.

Status
Not open for further replies.