it is not uncommon to hear neighbors unwind by firing off guns.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The suspect, identified as 38-year-old Francisco Oropeza, remained at large more than 18 hours after the shooting and authorities warned that he might still be armed. The attack happened just before midnight Friday near the town of Cleveland, north of Houston, on a street where some residents say it is not uncommon to hear neighbors unwind by firing off guns.

Source: AP Texas man kills 5 neighbors after they complained of gunfire

Does "unwind" here mean "relax"? The clause seems to be odd but I think it again and find it appears to mean "it is common to hear neighbors relax (saying to themselves:"No big deal. Just sleep on"), rather than nervous, by firing off guns".
I am not very sure. What does it actually mean?

Edit: As I read it on, I found "“It’s a normal thing people do around here, especially on Fridays after work,” Arevalo said. “They get home and start drinking in their backyards and shooting out there.”"

So "unwind by firing off guns" most likely means "get relaxed/entaining themselves by firing off guns at their backyard". That is, it is a way of some people in Texas to relax themselves by firing guns.

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not normal behavior if that's what you're asking.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Yes. "To unwind" refers to relaxing after a hard or stressful time. Some residents unwind on Friday (to celebrate the end of the working week) by firing off guns.

Note the corrections below.

The clause seems to be odd but I thought over think it again and I think find it appears to means "Iit is common to hear neighbors relax by firing off guns. We say to ourselves,(saying to themselves: " 'No big deal. Just sleep on'"), rather than getting nervous." , by firing off guns".
No, it doesn't mean that others think it's no big deal.

"get relaxed/entertaining themselves

it is a way of saying some people in Texas to relax themselves by firing guns.
... some people near Cleveland, to the north of Houston. This is just one place in Texas.

Saying "some people in Texas" in this situation is like saying "some people in Canton" after hearing of something that a few people in Macau do.

Last edited: