Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Einstein’s general theory of relativity from 19151 remains the most successful description of gravitation. From the 1919 solar eclipse2 to the observation of gravitational waves3, the theory has passed many crucial experimental tests. However, the evolving concepts of dark matter and dark energy illustrate that there is much to be learned about the gravitating content of the universe. Singularities in the general theory of relativity and the lack of a quantum theory of gravity suggest that our picture is incomplete. It is thus prudent to explore gravity in exotic physical systems. Antimatter was unknown to Einstein in 1915.

Source: Nature Observation of the effect of gravity on the motion of antimatter

As my eyes come into contact with the line "It is thus prudent to explore gravity...", a sentence somehow jumps out in my mind:"It thus requires to be prudent to explore gravity..." It seems to tell me that the latter is more natural than the former, otherwise it wouldn't have popped out of nowhere. I am not it is really the case.

The question here is: What do you feel as you come to read "It is thus prudent to explore gravity..." Does it go naturally without any noise or protest in your mind?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is thus prudent to explore gravity in exotic physical systems.

That's the sentence.

The subject is cosmology.

Don't take a phrase out of the sentence and expect it to make sense by itself.

You seem to be using some phrases that have never been seen before.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Don't you see the punctuation "..." there?

You haven't answered my question.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To really understand the sentence in question you need, of course, to read those that come before it

I have no feelings about it. No weird thoughts come to mind when I read that sentence.

You left some words out.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is thus prudent to explore... (from the source)
It thus requires to be prudent to explore... (from GoodTaste)

1 is natural while 2 is not.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is thus prudent to explore... (from the source)
It thus requires to be prudent to explore... (from GoodTaste)

1 is natural while 2 is not.
What's your reason?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Require' needs to be followed by a noun phrase.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Require' needs to be followed by a noun phrase.
EMCS also requires to be user-friendly.
At this point, the constitution lacks the authority it requires to be worthy of the name.
However, the coding step also is affected, and therefore, it requires to be reconsidered.
We assume that the weight function g(x) take negative values in Ω δ, but it requires to be strictly positive in Ω-Ω δ.
Metaphysics stands or falls with the solution of this problem, or on a satisfactory proof that the possibility it requires to be explained does not in fact obtain".
Wherever a signal requires to be transmitted, enhanced, cleaned, split or combined, LEN has the expertise and products to assist Venera Technologies Simplify the Complicated.
Also other openings like ventilators, loading ports, access hatches, etc. which requires to be tight can be tested as well.
Readymade rooftops are usually there to benefit the timely construction of a building, especially when construction requires to be done urgently.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
▶ USAGE :The use of require to as in I require to see the manager or you require to complete a special form is thought by many people to be incorrect: I need to see the manager; you are required to complete a special form
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

I am one of the many.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
EMCS also requires to be user-friendly. To me, there's a word missing after "requires".

At this point, the constitution lacks the authority it requires to be worthy of the name. This is a totally different construction. It means "... lacks the authority that it requires (to be worthy of the name)".

However, the coding step also is affected, and therefore, it requires to be reconsidered. To me, this is ungrammatical. It should say "needs", not "requires".

We assume that the weight function g(x) take negative values in Ω δ, but it requires to be strictly positive in Ω-Ω δ. To me, this is ungrammatical.

Metaphysics stands or falls with the solution of this problem, or on a satisfactory proof that the possibility it requires to be explained does not in fact obtain". This is a different construction.

Wherever a signal requires to be transmitted, enhanced, cleaned, split or combined, LEN has the expertise and products to assist Venera Technologies Simplify the Complicated. To me, this is ungrammatical. It should say "needs" not "requires".

Also other openings like ventilators, loading ports, access hatches, etc. which requires to be tight can be tested as well. To me, this is ungrammatical. It should say "needs" or "must be", not "requires [to]".

Readymade rooftops are usually there to benefit the timely construction of a building, especially when construction requires to be done urgently. To me, this is ungrammatical. It should say "needs", not "requires".
I'm speaking only from a BrE point of view. Perhaps it's different in other variants.
You need to provide the source for each one of those examples. Also tell us whether they were written by a native English speaker.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Okay. Now the question is:

(1) It thus needs to be prudent to explore gravity...
(2) It is thus prudent to explore gravity...

Which is more natural in the context of the OP?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@GoodTaste The question should be should you trust that the writer of that article knows English as well as or better than you.

I understood that sentence without any trouble because I had read the previous sentences. You have suggested a change that you think is an improvement. I don't agree.

It's not something you will come across very often unless you are looking for it. In any case, it's easy to understand in the proper context. Outside of that it's impossible.