Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
I wrote this:

I was worried for her, so I called the number she had called from my phone. It turned out to be/it was her mom, who told me that...

What would be correct and natural here?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, it's unclear what number you're calling. It sounds like she previously called a number using your phone, and now you're calling that same number (i.e. a number in your phone's dialed history). While that's possible, I'm not sure that's what you want to say.

Do you mean you're returning a call from a missed number, and that number ended up being her mother? Is it her mother's number, or is her mother answering her daughter's phone?

Regardless, either of your options would work. I suggest you clarify how you got the number you're dialing, however.

Topstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
First, it's unclear what number you're calling. It sounds like she previously called a number using your phone, and now you're calling that same number (i.e. a number in your phone's dialed history). While that's possible, I'm not sure that's what you want to say.
That is what I want to say. She previously called a number using 'my' phone, which turned out to be her mother's number.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "turn out to be" gives the impression of of unexpectedness and discovery, which the second version doesn't.