Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Halloween has come and let's face it, it wouldn't be spooky season without celebrities doing the most to serve us looks for the occasion.

Why is an article not needed before ‘spooky season’?

Source: Celebrity Halloween costumes 2023: Heidi Klum proves why she is queen of Halloween by BBC

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess "I don't know" wouldn't be a helpful answer, huh? 😊

I suppose it's because you would use "the spooky season" if you were comparing it to other seasons.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo It's interesting to me that so many countries have adopted American holidays. (I think we call Halloween a holiday because we can't think of anything else to call it.) I don't think it's because Americans encouraged that. I think it's because they copied us for whatever reason. What am I talking about? Well, there's Christmas, and Thanksgiving, and Mother's Day, and Valentine's Day (I think), and even Halloween. They have spread all over the place. Maybe they say, "Why should they have all the fun? Maybe we should do it too." What do you think?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
@Maybo It's interesting to me that so many countries have adopted American holidays. (I think we call Halloween a holiday because we can't think of anything else to call it.) I don't think it's because Americans encouraged that. I think it's because they copied us for whatever reason. What am I talking about? Well, there's Christmas, and Thanksgiving, and Mother's Day, and Valentine's Day (I think), and even Halloween. They have spread all over the place. Maybe they say, "Why should they have all the fun? Maybe we should do it too." What do you think?
Maybe it's because English is a global language. Many people learn more about American culture and they start to love its festivals. Many people grow up watching American blockbusters or other English movies so western festivals have become popular. Also, many of these popular festivals have commercial values. Companies take these opportunities to hold different activities and make people spend money.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
@Maybo It's interesting to me that so many countries have adopted American holidays. [...] Well, there's Christmas*, and Thanksgiving, and Mother's Day*, and Valentine's Day* (I think), and even Halloween*.
*These did not originate in America. They are all hundreds of years older than the USA.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is true. Not all of them did.

The purpose is a discussion, not an argument.