Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
It's been a long time since I last cared about something/anything.

Generally, I know the difference between something and anything. But in this case, I'm not sure which to use.

I would use "anything" there.

You could use either, but I wouldn't use something if I still didn't care.

You could use either, but I wouldn't use something if I still didn't care.
Wait, is it clear that the meaning of the sentence in the OP is that I don't care about anything anymore?

As a standalone sentence, I would say that's pretty clear. You could change the tense and use:

It's [been] a long time since I've cared about anything.

Bear in mind that the meaning would be different if the sentence continued after "anything" with a new clause that would probably start with "but".

It's [been] a long time since I've cared about anything but I've just been handed a tiny kitten that needs to be looked after until it can be adopted!

As a standalone sentence, I would say that's pretty clear. You could change the tense and use:

It's [been] a long time since I've cared about anything.

Bear in mind that the meaning would be different if the sentence continued after "anything" with a new clause that would probably start with "but".

It's [been] a long time since I've cared about anything but I've just been handed a tiny kitten that needs to be looked after until it can be adopted!
Why did you change the tense? I've never heard about a 'since + present perfect' construction. Can you explain to me when is such a construction used?

I offered an alternative wording. I wasn't suggesting that you need to change the original.

I offered an alternative wording. I wasn't suggesting that you need to change the original.
Ok, but, since you just opened a new can of worms, care to explain in what cases the 'since+present perfect' construction is used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back