Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use "it's with a plural noun?

"We have many disasters in our country. In the summer, it's fires and in the autumn it's floods."

Are those your own sentences, Rachel?

Yes, they are. I wanted to add if "Sometimes there are hurricanes" without adding "in Georgia" would be correct.

I wanted to add if "Sometimes there are hurricanes" without adding "in Georgia" would be correct.

This part is not grammatical. Try to construct the sentence again, starting with "I wanted to add ...".

This part is not grammatical. Try to construct the sentence again, starting with "I wanted to add ...".

I wanted to add that "Sometimes there are hurricanes" without "in Georgia" but I wasn't sure if it would be correct.

Is "it's" with a plural noun correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
The in the autumn it's floods part doesn't trouble me at all. I'd use it.

The in the autumn it's floods part doesn't trouble me at all. I'd use it.

But is the construction itself with "it's" and a plural noun common?

But is the construction itself with "it's" and a plural noun common?
Yes. For example, It's questions like this that bother me. (Not really!)

"It" is a dummy pronoun here. It refers to "the thing I'm about to mention", not to "questions".

Yes. For example, It's questions like this that bother me. (Not really!)

"It" is a dummy pronoun here. It refers to "the thing I'm about to mention", not to "questions".

So there is nothing wrong with using it and it is not informal either.

So there is nothing wrong with using it and it is not informal either.

Are you asking us or telling us? If you're asking us to confirm that, you need to include a question. If you're telling us, the post has no real point.

There's nothing more to confirm. Two solid answers (by Tdol and GoesStation) along with all the likes is sufficient confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back