Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Are these sentences of mine grammatical? And can I use 'He takes everything for granted' in place of count's his chickens'?

I've tried to convince him that the only possible way to gain that yearned promotion is by presenting a mind-blowing project. Unfortunately, his work despite being well-polished isn't outstanding enough to compete against the other proposed resolutions for maximizing the machine's efficiency.
I agree entirely with your view, though you know his personality. He always counts his chickens.

Cheers.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are these sentences of mine grammatical? And can I use 'He takes everything for granted' in place of counts his chickens'?

I've tried to convince him that the only possible way to gain that yearned-for promotion is by presenting a mind-blowing project. Unfortunately, his work, despite being well-polished, isn't outstanding enough to compete against the other proposed resolutions for maximizing the machine's efficiency.
I agree entirely with your view, though you know his personality. He always counts his chickens before they hatch.

Cheers.

The two expressions don't mean quite the same thing. Also, more usual would be: but you know him.

:)

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
The two expressions don't mean quite the same thing. Also, more usual would be: but you know him.

Does quite mean not at all?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Not really- they are not synonymous. If you count your chickens,you make assumptions about results before they occur, but if you take things for granted you could make assumptions about many things.

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Not really- they are not synonymous. If you count your chickens,you make assumptions about results before they occur, but if you take things for granted you could make assumptions about many things.

If I say "He takes the promotion for granted". Is it now equivalent to count chickens?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The expression is Don't count your chickens before they hatch. In other words, take nothing for granted. That way you won't be disappointed.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If I say "He takes the promotion for granted". Is it now equivalent to count chickens?

If someone is taking their promotion for granted, they are counting their chickens before they've hatched. There is overlap.

PS Various forms of the verb hath are used with this- before they hatch/have hatched/are hatched.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You yearned to use a verb as an adjective. (You could say desired promotion since desired serves both functions.)

You don't really need an adjective there, thus:

He was taking the promotion for granted.

See?

;-)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are these sentences of mine grammatical? And can I use 'He takes everything for granted' in place of count's his chickens'?

I've tried to convince him that the only possible way to gain that yearned-for promotion is to present a mind-blowing project. Unfortunately, his work, despite being well-polished, isn't outstanding enough to compete against the other proposed resolutions for maximizing the machine's efficiency.
I agree entirely with your view, but you know his personality. He always counts his chickens before they're hatched.

Cheers.
"He takes everything for granted" isn't specific enough to the situation.

If you want to use that turn of phrase, it would be better to say something like, "He always takes success for granted" or "he always takes it for granted that he'll get what he wants."

Status
Not open for further replies.