Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

Weifeng and then Laohu listened to the heartbeats of their unborn babies, wonder and joy shone brightly from their faces.
Laohu asked, “Are you sure it’s not just an echo?”

Jiang repositioned the stethoscope between the two positions on Weifeng’s stomach. “It’s harder to hear, but if everyone is quiet you should be able to hear both hearts beating at the same time. So yes, I am sure.”

Jiang remembered his aunt who had had twins and how at times both she and his uncle looked so exhausted it was as if they had four children. He decided not to say anything about it to allow them to feel the joy for as long as possible.

After Weifeng and Laohu left, Jiang turned his attention back to Jingying. “OK, out with it, how did you know Weifeng was having twins?”

Jingying thought a moment, she knew she could trust Jiang not to say a word to anyone, not even Lili. He called it ‘patient confidentiality’. “OK, but you must tell no one. Lanhua sometimes has dreams that come true. She recently had dreams about Moogh, Weifeng, and Lili. I thought her dream about Weifeng the easiest to check for accuracy. She also said Moogh is coming back but not for a few years and that Lili would have a baby too, that she is already pregnant.”

Jiang smiled and nodded. “Lili is with child. I have heard of such gifted people before, but never having met one, I wasn’t sure if it was true.”

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Weifeng and then Laohu listened to the heartbeats of their unborn babies, wonder and joy shining brightly on their faces.
Laohu asked, “Are you sure it’s not just an echo?”

Jiang repositioned the stethoscope between the two positions on Weifeng’s belly. “It’s harder to hear, but if everyone is quiet you should be able to hear both hearts beating at the same time. So yes, I am sure.”

Jiang remembered his aunt who had had twins and how at times both she and his uncle looked so exhausted it was as if they had four children. He decided not to say anything about it to allow them to feel the joy for as long as possible.

After Weifeng and Laohu left, Jiang turned his attention back to Jingying. “OK, out with it! How did you know Weifeng was having twins?”

Jingying thought a moment, she knew she could trust Jiang not to say a word to anyone, not even Lili. He called it ‘patient confidentiality’. “OK, but you must tell no one. Lanhua sometimes has dreams that come true. She recently had dreams about Moogh, Weifeng, and Lili. I thought her dream about Weifeng the easiest to check for accuracy. She also said Moogh is coming back but not for a few years and that Lili is going to have a baby too, that she is already pregnant.”

Jiang smiled and nodded. “Lili is with child. I have heard of such gifted people before, but never having met one, I wasn’t sure if it was true.”

OK.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Thanks for your time. There are still two more questions here:

First, as for "wonder and joy shining brightly on their faces", I found the following sentence:

Pride and accomplishment shone from young faces, and achievement was written into the pages of memories as the cheers from the onlookers rocketed through the still air. --- ocregister.com

I wonder if we can use "wonder and joy shining brightly from their faces". I mean both 'from' and 'on' are acceptable. Is that right? Actually, I prefer 'from' to 'on', because this is something shining from within - the inner world of two people.

Second, the comma after 'out with it' is used to express the continuity with the question. For me, if a period is used here, it will certainly produce a kind of disruption.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK. Use from.