Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I want to know the difference between 'just saying' and 'just asking.'

Someone told me that you say 'just asking/saying' when you just want to know/ask something. For example:
1) How much do those shoes cost? Just asking.
2) Your hair looks messy today. Just saying.

Now I don't know why exactly we say them. Is it because so people don't take our question/statement in a different way/get offended?

The difference is fairly simple really. Use "Just asking" after a question and "Just saying" after a statement.

You're pretty much in the right area saying they're used so people don't get offended. However, your first example isn't very natural. We wouldn't use it after a genuine question like "How much do those shoes cost?"

You're pretty much in the right area saying they're used so people don't get offended.

Normally when people are being offensive.

The difference is fairly simple really. Use "Just asking" after a question and "Just saying" after a statement.

You're pretty much in the right area saying they're used so people don't get offended. However, your first example isn't very natural. We wouldn't use it after a genuine question like "How much do those shoes cost?"

What if I stepped on someone's shoes and he gets upset and I ask him the price. Not make fun of them or anything but because I genuinely like them and want to know the price?

What if I stepped on someone's shoes, and he gets upset and I ask him the price? Not to make fun of him or anything but because I genuinely like them and want to know the price?

I would think you would apologize first (especially if he was wearing them at the time).

What if I stepped on someone's shoes and he [STRIKE]gets[/STRIKE] got upset and I asked him the price. Not to make fun of them or anything but because I genuinely like them and want to know the price?

As I said, it's an unlikely utterance after a genuine question. I might say "How much did your shoes cost? I'm just curious". However, if you've stepped on his shoes and he's angry, you're going to have to do more than that to placate him.

Thank you for the answers. How about this:
A guy dies in a car accident and during his funeral I ask a friend-
Me: Wasn't it a Rolls-Royce? Where's the car?
The guy: Why do you want to know?
Me: I'm just asking.

That dialogue is also possible but it doesn't use "Just askin'" in the way that post #1 seemed to be talking about. In the funeral dialogue, it's a genuine answer to a genuine question.

That dialogue is also possible but it doesn't use "Just askin'" in the way that post #1 seemed to be talking about. In the funeral dialogue, it's a genuine answer to a genuine question.
Thank you for the answer once again. Today a girl was arguing with my friend and I simply asked what happened. She was very offensive. Maybe she though I was going to take my friend's side and argue with her. I said:
"There's no need to be rude. I'm just asking."

I hope I used it correctly this time.

You have used it correctly every time but I thought you wanted to know about the phrase that's normally said written as "Just askin'" (note the apostrophe), like the "Just sayin'" version. They have very specific uses and they are absolutely not used to simply mean "I am simply asking you a question/I am simply saying something). Those have strong undertones - like a mixture of humour, sarcasm. It's really hard to put into words.

Here's an example - two friends are talking about marriage. One of them (Sarah) has been dating a man for three years. Her friend (Helen) asks whether they plan to get married.

Sarah: I really love Greg. He's amazing!
Helen: So are you guys ever going to get married?
Sarah: I'm an old-fashioned girl. I'm going to wait for him to propose.
Helen: Really? You could be waiting forever.
Sarah: I know, but what's the alternative?
Helen: Come on! You could propose to him!
Sarah: Don't be ridiculous. That's preposterous. I couldn't. I mean, I could, but ...!
Helen: But what?
Sarah: Well, for a start, I'd have to buy a ring.
Helen: So what?
Sarah: I haven't got much money.
Helen: The jewellers across the road is having a sale. Everything's 50% off. Just sayin'!

She might well say the final two words with a wink and a sly smile because she's not "just saying" it at all. She is giving a really big hint that she thinks Sarah should go over the road, buy a ring and propose to her boyfriend! Does that make sense to you?

What if I stepped on someone's shoes and he gets upset and I ask him the price. Not make fun of them or anything but because I genuinely like them and want to know the price?

I am very sorry for that- it was an accident. By the way, they are very nice shoes. Would you mind telling me how much they were as I wouldn't mind a pair myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have used it correctly every time but I thought you wanted to know about the phrase that's normally said written as "Just askin'" (note the apostrophe), like the "Just sayin'" version. They have very specific uses and they are absolutely not used to simply mean "I am simply asking you a question/I am simply saying something). Those have strong undertones - like a mixture of humour, sarcasm. It's really hard to put into words.

Here's an example - two friends are talking about marriage. One of them (Sarah) has been dating a man for three years. Her friend (Helen) asks whether they plan to get married.

Sarah: I really love Greg. He's amazing!
Helen: So are you guys ever going to get married?
Sarah: I'm an old-fashioned girl. I'm going to wait for him to propose.
Helen: Really? You could be waiting forever.
Sarah: I know, but what's the alternative?
Helen: Come on! You could propose to him!
Sarah: Don't be ridiculous. That's preposterous. I couldn't. I mean, I could, but ...!
Helen: But what?
Sarah: Well, for a start, I'd have to buy a ring.
Helen: So what?
Sarah: I haven't got much money.
Helen: The jewellers across the road is having a sale. Everything's 50% off. Just sayin'!

She might well say the final two words with a wink and a sly smile because she's not "just saying" it at all. She is giving a really big hint that she thinks Sarah should go over the road, buy a ring and propose to her boyfriend! Does that make sense to you?

Well I think I get it. The literal meaning of 'just saying' is the same but the whole context and specially her wink and smile (assuming she did) makes it seem more like a friendly advice, isn't it?

Well I think I get it. The literal meaning of 'just saying' is the same but the whole context and specially her wink and smile (assuming she did) makes it seem more like [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] friendly advice, doesn't it?
Yes, it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back