Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is the following sentence correct and natural?

Kindly note that Mr. Louis and his wife Ms Mary have confirmed a group with us in November and they will be staying with us that upcoming week.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Kindly note that Mr. Louis and his wife Ms Mary have confirmed a group with us in November and they will be staying with us that upcoming week.
I think the sentence raises many questions, especially without the context given. Is this a booking for accommodation? For how many people? What date?

Please elaborate on what you mean by the underlined parts.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After Mr, Mrs and Ms, we use someone's surname, not their first name. We would say "Mr Smith and his wife, Mary, have confirmed ..." or "Mr and Mrs Smith have confirmed ...".
If the speaker and listener are on first-name terms with those people, they'd say "Louis and Mary have confirmed ...".
As tedmc said, the rest of the piece is very unclear. What is the context of the piece? Is this about a hotel booking?

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Please close that thread.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
@output
Please be more considerate of other members. Two members gave up their free time to respond to your question. Your deleting the question after they responded means that they wasted their time.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm so sorry about that.😭

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've put the original post back as it was. @output - Never delete any part of a post once it has received responses.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is the following sentence correct and natural?

Kindly note that Mr. Louis and his wife Ms Mary ...

It isn't natural because we know from the word 'wife' that she is married, and we use 'Ms' when we don't know the marital status of an adult female, or when the woman herself chooses to be known as 'Ms' if she thinks it's nobody's business but her own.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In some parts of the world it is customary to refer to men as Mr followed by their forename. When I worked in India I was always addressed and referred to as Mr Peter. I don't know about Hong Kong where the OP hails from.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I believe it might be customary in some parts of the US to use "Miss" before a woman's first name even if she's married. I don't just mean when addressing her formally - all the time!
I follow a vlog by a man who lives with his elderly parents (his mother has advanced dementia). With the exception of family, everyone they come into contact with (carers, restaurant waiters, hairdressers) refers to his mother as "Miss Betty". This sounds really unnatural to my BrE ears, partly because it sounds very formal but also because she is clearly married.