Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Kushner’s and Mnuchin’s Quick Pivots to Business With the Gulf
Weeks before leaving office, Jared Kushner, then a White House adviser, and Steven Mnuchin, then Treasury secretary, met with investors in the Middle East.
An examination of their trips, and the private funds they started, raised questions about whether the two men sought to exploit official relationships.

Source: NYTime

It seems to me that "Quick Pivots to Business With the Gulf" means "ready help (of central importance - that is what "pivot" means) to business with the Gulf". I am not sure.
What does "quick pivots" mean?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The two leveraged on their positions (used their position as pivots) as top government officials to establish relationships/network with investors in the Middle East, ostensibly for official purposes but it was perceived by the media as more for personal interests (from business contacts), as it was done just before they left their positions.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, that's not right. They are not "pivots" (noun)

They pivoted (verb), they changed quickly from being government officials doing diplomacy to being private businessmen doing business deals.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think "pivots" there is a verb. The use of the possessives with the names and the adjective that comes before "pivots" make it a plural noun for me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, the headline is a noun. But tedmc described the people as pivots. That's not right. The headline use of a noun is describing their action, not their identity.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think "pivots" there is a verb. The use of the possessives with the names and the adjective that comes before "pivots" make it a plural noun for me.
Yes it is a noun. But SD's explanation helps.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, the headline is a noun. But tedmc described the people as pivots. That's not right. The headline use of a noun is describing their action, not their identity.
Read again. I didn't describe people as pivots.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Ted said that they used their positions as the pivots, when they switched from officials to pursuing their private interests, though I don't think it's simply a media perception implied here.

Status
Not open for further replies.