Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
A man says "My name is Mark and I'm in ladder company 169"

What is the meaning of "ladder company 169"??

I got that he is working in a company that produces "ladders", I hop eI'm right! but what is "169"???

Thanks a lot.

A man says "My name is Mark and I'm in ladder company 169"

What is the meaning of "ladder company 169"??

I got that he is working in a company that produces "ladders", I hop eI'm right! but what is "169"???

Thanks a lot.

I'm pretty sure that this is how each separate fire department (ie firefighters, or firemen in BrE) are identified in America.

Edit - sorry, that should be each "fire station", not department.

I'm pretty sure that this is how each separate fire department (ie firefighters, or firemen in BrE) are identified in America.

Edit - sorry, that should be each "fire station", not department.

What do you mean? I can't get anything :oops:

Thanks.

What do you mean? I can't get anything :oops:

Thanks.

The fire brigade. Firefighters. The emergency service who go out when something is on fire.

Each fire station (the building where they are based) has a number, and someone who works for the fire brigade (fire service) will work for a fire station (I think that's fire house in AmE) with a number. Each team of firefighters has a designated number, so someone who works, for example at a fire station in a specific area in a specific city, and is assigned to a specific team, will say he works for "Ladder Company 169". That's how they refer to the separate teams of firefighters.

I swear it's not clear! Really I don't know what's missing!
mmm, I still can't get what this number for??? I mean does he want to say "I work as a firefighter?"????

Because what I got that even "campany ladder" is not a company!

Sorry, I REALLY can't get what he wants to say:-:)oops:

Like he wants to say "I work as a firefighter in a fire station no. 169"?

I that what he wants to say?

In the army, you have brigades, battalions, companies, platoons, squads.

A company in an army has nothing to do with a private manufacturing company. It's just a word used to describe the division.

In a large city, the fire department has various companies as well. They are not private manufacturing companies -- they are divisions within the overall fire department.

Any four-year-old boy I've ever met can point to various fire trucks and say "that's a ladder truck" or "that's a pumper" or whatever the various types of fire trucks are. (I've never been or had a four-year-old boy, so I missed this phase.)

The ladder company has ladder trucks. They respond to a fire along with other companies, and together, they work to put out the fire.

Each company has its own number.

In the army, you have brigades, battalions, companies, platoons, squads.

A company in an army has nothing to do with a private manufacturing company. It's just a word used to describe the division.

In a large city, the fire department has various companies as well. They are not private manufacturing companies -- they are divisions within the overall fire department.

Any four-year-old boy I've ever met can point to various fire trucks and say "that's a ladder truck" or "that's a pumper" or whatever the various types of fire trucks are. (I've never been or had a four-year-old boy, so I missed this phase.)

The ladder company has ladder trucks. They respond to a fire along with other companies, and together, they work to put out the fire.

Each company has its own number.

Thanks a lot. Yes, I got it when you kinldy referred to the army :oops: (it's something like a team" He means to say "I work as a figherfighter on ladder trucks (no pumping trucks) in a team no. 196" :oops:

THAAAANKS.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back