Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"Lately, the term "big data" tends to refer to the use of predictive analytics, user behavior analytics, or certain other advanced data analytics methods that extract value from data, and seldom to a particular size of data set."

I cannot understand the above explanation. Does lately mean recently and refer to mean express?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_data+&cd=2&hl=tr&ct=clnk&gl=tr

In the above, "lately" doesn't work. The author should have used, for example, "nowadays" instead.

In the above, "lately" doesn't work. The author should have used, for example, "nowadays" instead.
Is nowadays=recently here? And would you please evaluate my offer about refer to vice express?

"nowadays" implies a longer expanse of time than 'recently'. 'nowadays' also suggests that something is in general usage, where 'recently' could be referring to a one-time occurrence. So the answer to your question is: not really.

I'm sorry but I don't know what "evaluate my offer about refer to vice express" means.
By saying "evaluate my offer about refer to vice express." I tried to say "Would you check my offer if it is correct if we use express instead of (vice) refer to". Is it okay now?

Evaluate: Form a critical opinion of (Here it is used in a very similar way to "how", "how is my offer about refer to vice express."
Vice: instead of.

As I am not a native speaker, I might confuse it. Would you please clarify me? Vice means "in place of" and I learnt "instead of" also means "in place of".

Don't use vice. Use in place of or instead of.

refer to and express are not at all similar. In the original sentence, refer to is being used correctly. You can't use express there.

Is the dictionary wrong again? Did you look the link?

It depends what you mean by wrong! Trust us. If you use vice like that, nobody will understand you.

You're fine with vice versa ('the other way round').

It depends what you mean by wrong! Trust us. If you use vice like that, nobody will understand you.
I of course trust you but then you mean I used it in the wrong way. Well, would you please explain the difference?

I of course trust you but then you mean I used it in the wrong way. Well, would you please explain the difference?

What difference? I was advising you not to use vice at all as a preposition.

Some native speakers confuse vice with versus, presumably by mixing it up with part of the Latin phrase vice versa.

Twenty years ago I worked with a young man from New Jersey who always said vice when he meant versus.

Because I was exposed to this misuse of the language years ago, I wouldn't have any trouble understanding that the writer had ignorantly replaced versus with vice.

most likely the drive is GPT-formatted, vice MBR-formatted.

But versus has a meaning like against. So did the writer replaced instead of/in place of with vice?

Last edited:
But versus has a meaning like against. So did the writer replaced instead of/in place of with vice?
Versus means "as opposed to" in this usage. That's what the writer meant where s/he wrote ​vice.

I had considered it merely illiterate folk etymology, but as the blog explains, it's actually a logical use of the Latin word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back