Learn & Practise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probus told me I should use $1.50 in a piece of my writing.

Emsr2d2 told me they didn't say 'smell it hard' in another piece of my writing.

And I would say it again. And I agree with probus.

Probus told me I should use $1.50 in a piece of my writing.
Yes, and I agree with that. There's nothing wrong with it.

Emsr2d2 told me they didn't say 'smell it hard' in another piece of my writing.
Can you provide a link please? I would like to look at the context.

Yes, and I agree with that. There's nothing wrong with it.

Can you provide a link please? I would like to look at the context.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...e-Cheers-for-My-Homemade-Sweet-Fermented-Rice

Post #1 The third paragraph I wrote:

I just couldn't wait for such lengthy 38-48 hours for it. Every a few hours, I went to the maker and smelt it hard near the semitransparent cover like a puppy. The time was up this morning. The very first thing I did was to see my rice when I woke up at 5 a.m. The rice and liquid the rice exuded were very sweet. Better than that sold in the supermarket here. Done!

Post #3 is emsr2d2's comment about 'smell something hard'.

2. We really don't say that we "smell something hard".

PS--Sorry, I didn't reponse to your first post to me in this thread in time because I didn't log in until yesterday, and I just read this post of yours now.

Last edited:
In the above context, it may not sound so natural, though I wouldn't say it's wrong. The meaning is readily understandable.

However, "smell something hard" can work in other contexts. Consider this:
Doctor: What causes you to have those sneezing fits?
Patient: It's really strange, doctor, but they happen only when I smell something hard. I never get them when I smell something soft and fluffy.

Your amusing scenario does indeed work. I have to say, though, that I was referring to the use of "hard" as an adverb (as it was used in the original), whereas yours uses the adjective.

A non-native form of English is sometimes used by some people there. Have you never heard of Singlish?

I have now. Good night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back