Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
Hello everyone,

I have a chapter in a book that I want to name it (allowing someone to choose) so is there a word/infinitive that could have this meaning, one or more words, no problem.

An example of the content of the chapter is when the judge gives the accused a choice between imprisonment or bail. What do we call this act? Or this judge's act What do we call it?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, everyone. Note the correct punctuation here but bear in mind that there is no need for a greeting in your posts. Just go ahead and ask your question.

I have a chapter in a book that I want to name it "Allowing Someone to Choose". so Is there a word/infinitive that could have has this meaning? It can be one or more words; no problem it doesn't matter.

An example of the content of the chapter is when the judge gives the accused a choice between imprisonment or bail. What do we call this act no question mark here or this judge's act? What do we call it? Repetitive.

Thank you. There is no need to thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by hovering over the "Like" button and choosing the "Thanks" icon.

Please note my corrections above. I'm confused by your scenario. A judge doesn't allow the accused to choose between imprisonment and bail. The judge decides what happens to the accused. Also, the judge's decision between imprisonment and bail doesn't happen at the same time in a trial. The accused might be granted bail after the first hearing, while waiting for the main trial to start. A judge can sentence the accused to imprisonment at the end of the trial, if the accused is found guilty.
The judge might decide that bail is not appropriate and demand that the accused be held in a prison while awaiting trial, but that's not the same as imprisonment.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That may be but, as emsr2d2 said, judges don't allow people to chooses between bail and imprisonment. Bail is not a punishment.

alialikhalid

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
Even if what I said is false or you don't accept it, how is that related to my question?! I'm confused!

The act of "Letting someone to choose" what it is called?! This my question.

I gave an example of laws, but it can be used in general.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Even if what I said is false, how is that related to my question?!
It was you who mentioned bail and imprisonment as an example of the choice you were talking about. As that choice does not happen, we were confused. I can't think at the moment of any special term for giving people a choice.

alialikhalid

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Bahrain
Current Location
Bahrain
I was trying to give an example to clarify the idea, but you left the question and argued with me about the correctness/validity of the example.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hey ho. You win some, you lose some.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Letting someone to choose" is ungrammatical. You can say "Letting someone choose" (without "to") or "Allowing someone to choose" (with "to").
You could call your chapter "Giving someone a choice". As we've said, it doesn't work in the specific context you've given (not where any of us live, at least) but if the chapter covers a context in which someone really is given a choice, that title would work. There isn't a single word that means the same.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It sounds like A Judge's Offer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.