• Thread starter vaibhavmaskar
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,407
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vaibhavmaskar

Election are next year.

Whom is the linking verb linking here (Adj or location)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Elections/The elections are next year.

[strike]Whom[/strike] What is the linking verb linking to here - the adjective or the location? [strike](Adj or location)[/strike]

Note my corrections to your post above, in red.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you asking if "are" links "elections" with "next" or "elections" with "???". I can't see a location in your original sentence.

V

vaibhavmaskar

Linkink verb links to adjective, noun or location but here I don't understand whom does it link to?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So what is the "next year" Adjective or noun?
"Next year" is an adjective and a noun. But "are" is not a linking verb in your sentence.
"Elections are next year." doesn't mean 'Elections = next year". It means "Elections are [due to be held] next year" or "Elections are [scheduled for] next year", or something similar.

Last edited:
V

vaibhavmaskar

So it is reduced clause.

And

which (does) it links to?

Is use of "does" incorrect here? why?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So it is reduced clause.
I'm not sure it's a reduced clause. I'd call it an ellipsis. Consider, "Elections which are due next year will be in April". This reduces to "Elections due next year will be in April". "Which are" is omitted, leaving a phrase where before reduction there is a clause. In your sentence, a clause is not reduced to a phrase because "are" remains.

And
which (does) it links to?
Is use of "does" incorrect here? why?
I don't understand your second question. If you're asking what "are" links to, I've just said that it's not acting as a linking verb. It doesn't link to anything.

V

vaibhavmaskar

My second question is different.
It is use of "does" in sentence because I wrote "which does it links to?" But bhaisahab removed "does".

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My second qiestion is different.
Then you should start a new thread if you want to ask about the use of "does".

It is use of "does" in sentence beacuse I wrote "which does it links to?" But bhaisahab removed "does".

"Does" is right, but the correct sentence is, "What does it link to?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only relevant thing I can see on the page that link goes to is one of the example sentences "Are elections next year?" In BrE, I consider that wrong. It should be "Are the elections next year?" or "Are there elections next year?"

Ignoring that for a moment, I don't know why you sent us to look at that page. You keep asking about "are" as a linking verb. You have been told at least twice that it is not a linking verb. It is the use of the present tense to denote the future. There is nothing on the page of that website that suggests that "are" is a linking verb.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The verb be isn't only a linking verb. In the site you link to, it starts by looking at be/have/do in questions- in this case, be is an auxiliary (helping) verb.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, vater.

Please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice house the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.