Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My life in Kharkiv was culturally rich and inspiring—literally “breathed in,” as if the air itself was full. Every day after work as a university instructor and part-time Ph.D. student in chemical engineering and industrial ecology, I hurried to English class or dance class or chose a path home through the city center so I could stop at an art gallery or walk by a theater to note what performance to attend next.

Source: Science

Is the phrase "literally “breathed in,” as if the air itself was full" proper English? "As if the air itself was full" does not conjure up a beautiful image in me (but if it were expressed as "as if fresh air was full" it will do).

What does it mean? If I wrote in Chinese, it would something like "fresh, sweet air were everywhere and you had to 'breathe in' - I am not sure it is good English, but surely I could write it in beautiful Chinese.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not commonly used but I rather like it. It gives the reader the idea of the environment being so full of culture and inspiration that, whenever the writer inhaled, they breathed in not just oxygen but also that culture and inspiration.
It has nothing to do with the actual air being "fresh/sweet" as in your suggested example.

Status
Not open for further replies.