Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
After class on Wednesday, I hurried to the school skateboarding club. I was running out of the classroom when I bumped into a girl literally. I said sorry to her and she smiled at me.

(from an English textbook for senior high school students in China, published by Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press)

In the 2nd sentence, the use of “literally” looks odd to me. I’d like to know if it means “exactly” here.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We often use bump into somebody in a non-literal way, where it means something like 'meet somebody by chance'. The writer here is making it clear that he means it in a literal way.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The word is OK, though I'd put it before 'bumped'. It indicates that the speaker really did have physical contact with the girl. The 'bumping into' was not just a casual meeting.

So would I.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After class on Wednesday, I hurried to the school skateboarding club. I was running out of the classroom when I bumped into a girl. I said sorry to her and she smiled at me.

The context makes if perfectly clear that it was a physical encounter. However, if you must use "literally" use it before "bumped". (Note that I deleted "literally" from the text.)

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you all, teachers.

I wonder if the writer means she didn’t just brush past the girl but bumped into her completely (say a head-on collision) by using the word “literally”. I’d like to know if “literally” could be used that way.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In your context "lierally" means "actually" as opposed to the sense pointed out by jutfrank.

Status
Not open for further replies.