Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is "Lose the girls" a demand mean "get rid of the girls"? Or does it mean something more euphemistic referring to "Let the girls go"?

=================
(At the sight of James Bond, Valentin, the gang leader, who's flirting with two women, cries:) Bond! James Bond! Meet Nina and Verushka.

(The two women smile at James)
James Bond: Lose the girls Valentin.

Source: James Bond: The World Is Not Enough (1999)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It just means get rid of them. I assume he's just suggesting that he tells them to get lost, rather than doing anything drastic to them!

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It just means get rid of them. I assume he's just suggesting that he tells them to get lost, rather than doing anything drastic to them!
My dictionary explains "get lost" as a rude demand:get lost: used for telling sb. rudely to go away, or that you are annoyed by sth. that they have just said.PS. Why is my Editor of this forum missing? All formats are lost. All buttons for editing are lost.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My dictionary explains "get lost" as a rude demand:get lost: used for telling sb. rudely to go away, or that you are annoyed by sth. that they have just said.PS. Why is my Editor of this forum missing? All formats are lost. All buttons for editing are lost.

It's fairly rude if you actually say it to someone's face, but in the context I used it above, it's OK. It doesn't really matter how he does it. Valentin just wants the girls not to be there!

I have no idea what's happened to your buttons etc. They're all fine for me. Please post in the Support Area, detailing the problem and remember to say what device, operating system and browser you're using.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think Bond meant anything drastic, but I did watch a show recently where a drug cartel lawyer told a person "I'll see that you're taken care of." The person thought they'd get more money to keep quiet. Instead they ended up "taken care of" in a more permanent way.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Lose the *****" is a common piece of jargon in the entertainment industry. It simply means remove something and is easy to shout across an auditorium during set up.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Well, I am sure I've understand the last two replies correctly.

I don't think Bond meant anything drastic, but I did watch a show recently where a drug cartel lawyer told a person "I'll see that you're taken care of." The person thought they'd get more money to keep quiet. Instead they ended up "taken care of" in a more permanent way.

I understand ended up "taken care of" in a more permanent way as either "ended up being "taken care of" in prison for life" or "ended up being sent to the Kingdom of Heaven to enjoy afterlife."

"Lose the *****" is a common piece of jargon in the entertainment industry. It simply means remove something and is easy to shout across an auditorium during set up.

I understand "during set up" as "during preparing for formal conversation."

It is apparently that I've missed some nuance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I am sure I've understand the last two replies correctly.

I understand ended up "taken care of" in a more permanent way as either "ended up being "taken care of" in prison for life" or "ended up being sent to the Kingdom of Heaven to enjoy afterlife."

I understand "during set up" as "during preparing for formal conversation."

It is apparent that I've missed some nuance.

Taken care of in a more permanent way = was killed
During setup - during the preparations for a show

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It's not that rude, but asking someone to leave in no uncertain terms is not polite. If we wanted to be really rude, we would tell them to f*** off.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My dictionary explains "get lost" as a rude demand:get lost: used for telling somebody rudely to go away, or that you are annoyed by something that they have just said. . . .
"Lose the girls" is unkind, too. The difference is that you tell someone to get lost and you tell someone else to lose them.

Status
Not open for further replies.