Sammy Sam

Member Type
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Q1:- Suppose your car breaks down and you have no idea what went wrong. You take it to a mechanic to diagnose the fault.

Does he examine it?
or
Does he inspect it?

to get to know what actually caused the fault.

Q2::- Do we have other variants to rephrase the same question? If yes, what are they?

I would appreciate if the question is answered by Native speakers of British and American English.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A good mechanic will "inspect" my vehicle.
When it comes to using examination and inspection, people often make the mistake of using these terms interchangeably. However, there are distinct differences between the two, and understanding these differences is crucial in avoiding common mistakes. See the following link for examples: Reference

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A mechanic inspects a car.
A doctor examines a patient.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would appreciate it if the question were answered by native speakers of British and American English.
Please note that all members are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as their suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To touch upon the issue further, some US states require an annual inspection (sometimes for just for emissions, sometimes for overall mechanical fitness) to renew your vehicle tag or registration.

I wouldn't be surprised if other English-speaking countries don't have similar requirements, but the point is that the car needs to pass an inspection, not an examination.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would go more Anglo-Saxon and say a mechanic "looks at" a car.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To touch upon the issue further, some US states require an annual inspection (sometimes for just for emissions, sometimes for overall mechanical fitness) to renew your vehicle tag or registration.

I wouldn't be surprised if other English-speaking countries don't have similar requirements, but the point is that the car needs to pass an inspection, not an examination.

Yes. If I say I am having my car "inspected" that has a particular meaning. Certain things are checked and a window sticker is placed on the car when it passes all the items.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, 'inspect' is the more technical word. An MOT test, for example, is an inspection.

If you just want the mechanic to look at it to find what the problem is, then 'look at' or 'have a look at' are the best choices.

Last edited:

Sammy Sam

Member Type
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Yes, 'inspect' is the more technical word. An MOT test, for example, is an inspection.

If you just want the mechanic to look at it to find what the problem is, then 'look at' or 'have a look at' are the best choices.
What does MOT stand for?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Ministry of Transport (The Department for Transport nowadays)