Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Colombia
Have I made any mistakes?

You'vemade your viewpoint on Spanish abundantly clear. Now, refrain from derailingconversations with your uncalled-for remarks. This server was created with the sole purpose of fostering an inclusivelanguage-learning community. WhileI can't force you to grow fond of Spanish, I strenuously request that you stop discouraging people who wantto pursuit Spanish and hoodwinking them into believing its useless.

Have I made any mistakes?

You've made your viewpoint on Spanish abundantly clear. Now, refrain from derailing conversations with your uncalled-for remarks. This server was created with the sole purpose of fostering an inclusive language-learning community. While I can't force you to grow fond of Spanish, I strenuously request that you stop discouraging people who want to learn Spanish and hoodwinking them into believing it's useless.

I don't think "strenuously" adds anything. Perhaps:

I must ask you to ....

Welcome to the forum, Robbadob. :hi:

As you can see, Tarheel added a lot of spaces between words. It looks like you copied and pasted the text in post #1 from somewhere else. Note that when you do that, the software removes a lot of spaces. Before you post, you will need to add those spaces yourself.

Thanks for your replies.

I wasn't aware the spacing was botched up when copying text from a word editor. Unfortunately, I couldn't visualize my thread after I posted it. I thought it had been deleted or not properly entered.
Regarding my passage. Does it read overly formal? Is the tone condescending?

Last edited:
It's an admonition. By its very nature the one person seems to be talking down to the other one. That's pretty much unavoidable here.

What do you mean by server?

I wasn't aware the spacing was botched up when copying text from a word editor.

If you right-click, you can choose the paste as plain text option, which clears any editor formatting issues.

I thought Discord was an app or a chat service. I'm pretty sure "server" is the wrong word there.

I thought Discord was an app or a chat service. I'm pretty sure "server" is the wrong word there.
It's the right word.

Discord uses the metaphors of servers and channels; even though these servers don't map to traditional hardware or virtual servers due to their distributed nature. A user can create a server on Discord, manage its public visibility and access, and create one or more channels within.

Last edited:
OK- I would favour channel over server on this, as I see servers as machines, real or virtual. I must be getting old. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back