Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I have to write a motivational letter to apply for my university. Any tips, suggestions would be greatly appriciated :) Thanks in advance!

Dear Sir or Madam,

With this letter, I would like to express my interest in your bachelor’s program in “International Business Management” and my motivation to study at the xxx.

As I grew up in Germany with part of my roots in a Chinese background, I quickly learned about differences in culture and language starting at a young age. I was raised bilingually speaking German as my native language as well as speaking Mandarin Chinese fluently. As my interests in different cultures and languages increased over time, I knew I wanted to gain as much experience abroad as possible. While studying at a high school in the USA for one year I not only gained language skills but also the ability to adapt and learn about another culture in the most efficient ways possible. Being part of a different culture, speaking a different language, and connecting with people from all over the world was a fascinating experience in my life. In fact, I found it so important to share this experience, that I decided to organize and do presentations about cultural exchange in my school to develop these skills further. This curiosity and the want for new experiences and challenges are still burning inside of me which is why I know exactly that I want to work in a multicultural environment in my future.

I was always interested in how people operate a global company to work successfully and how businesses function. Starting in high school, I took every chance to read, watch, try out and learn more about business processes and how companies like Apple, Amazon, or Mercedes-Benz work, as a result, I questioned how these companies functioned to be so successful. I believe that a favorable outcome for a company is not defined by just one thing and that is why I find the processes of business administration so exciting. To learn and challenge myself, I took several working opportunities abroad throughout my life. The way of working in a different culture with international colleagues made me realize how powerful and truly great it is when people from all over the world work together and share their knowledge. Further, working in an international company in China was one of the most interesting yet challenging experiences of my life and it instilled in me a resolute desire to study and practice business education particularly International Business Management.

Throughout my experiences abroad I have been able to empathize with different cultures and speak with people who work in an international business environment, developing my understanding of the importance to be able to work in an internationally, connecting people and companies around the world to work together and therefore solve the challenges of globalization effectively. Not only will this program teach me how international markets work, but also how to responsibly apply my cultural knowledge in a business environment.

What I highly value about the xxx is its practice-oriented approach, which I find curtail to expand the academic knowledge you learn into real-world situations. Furthermore, its strong international orientation will allow me to emphasize my open-minded view toward people and cultures, which I think is fantastic. The possibility to study abroad and work for an international company is appealing to me as I want to learn about new experiences in the international business world.

Studying International Business Management at the xxx will be the best way to apply the international Knowledge that I have gained throughout my life. Apart from that, it is an opportunity to deepen my language skills and interests in business administration which I find exciting. My open-minded cultural interests and the ability to communicate in four languages will contribute to this program. Moreover, the knowledge, passion, and insights I gained in international business administration processes through different working experiences abroad will contribute to exceptional results in this program, exceeding people’s expectations is what I aspire to. My understanding and interest in cultures, languages, and business processes make this program the perfect choice for me to study.

In my future career, I hope to see myself improving the business ties between Europe and Asia, especially between Germany in China. With my bilingual background, I have experienced differences and similarities between these cultures, and I would like to improve one of the most important things in business between two countries: communication. By studying at the xxx I’m confident that my existing skills and newly learned knowledge combined will have a great impact on my future career. I hope to be able to share my view with other international students and I hope to learn a lot from them as well. I am sure that IBMAN at xxx will open new horizons in my life.

Thank you very much for considering my request. I look forward to your positive response.

Yours Faithfully,
xxx

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1- What is the word limit?
2- When is the submission deadline?
3- Which areas/topics were you asked to cover?

timo.hm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
1- What is the word limit?
2- When is the submission deadline?
3- Which areas/topics were you asked to cover?
My university told me it should be around 1 page, I know mine is a little to long and I need to cut some things out

the deadline is in about 2 weeks

It should include general aspects of a motivational letter and my general motivation and what qualifies me for that programm should be clear

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Consider reading some of the posts already in this subforum. There are many.

timo.hm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Here are some comments from me:
1- You should cut down on waffle and on repetition.
2- Try to include specific details (names of certificates, dates of events, names of companies etc). That would make your letter more credible.
3- Focus on your (specific) achievements, and try to outline how this program fits your career goals.
Revise and post below.

LauMercury

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
IMO, your passion for International Business Management and your personal experiences make your letter stand out.
One thing you could consider is mentioning how your knowledge and skills in this field could be applied to franchising. A franchisor always seeks individuals with a strong understanding of global business practices and an ability to connect with people from diverse cultures. Highlighting your interest in improving business ties between Germany and China could demonstrate your potential value to a franchisor.
Overall, you should have a strong letter showcasing your unique experiences and motivations. Best of luck with your application!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My university told me it should be around 1 one page. I know mine is a little too long and I need to cut some things out. The deadline is in about 2 two weeks.
It should include general aspects of a motivational letter and my general motivation, and what qualifies me for that program should be clear.
Note my corrections above. You must start every sentence with a capital letter and end every sentence with an appropriate closing punctuation mark. Standard practice is to write the numbers one to twenty (inclusive) in full (words, not numbers).

Telling you it should be one page long isn't very helpful. What size of paper? What font size? What spacing between lines/paragraphs? All of those aspects can completely change the length of a text.

Status
Not open for further replies.