Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi. I'm writing a motivation letter to a potential Ph.D. supervisor. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance

Dear XXX
I am XXX. I’m writing to state my motivation and inquire about the availability of Ph.D. positions to join your laboratory. I am very interested in the use of systems biology approaches you employ to elucidate molecular mechanisms of diseases and immune responses to vaccination and infection.

With a strong background in Molecular biology, Biochemistry, and Immunology, in 2019 I hold a Master’s Degree in XXX at the University of YYY. The degree courses provide me with specific competencies and know-how for the identification of new pharmacological targets as well as the design and delivery of biopharmaceutical drugs. I defended my master's thesis focusing on the synthesis and physical-chemical characterization of oligonucleotide analogs to be used as innovative therapeutics tools.

In addition, in January 2022, I completed a one-year specialization program in “XXX” at the University of YYY. This helped me improve my knowledge of the most recent genomics and in situ-based technologies in the context of cancer disease. Here, I worked on a project involving the use of “Fluorescence in situ hybridization” (FISH) to detect chromosomal rearrangements.
In September 2023, I have been selected for a PhD-program in the Immunology section at the University of XXX. Unfortunately, my research topic has been changed and I have decided that it would be better for me to stop my PhD-program.

For my Ph.D. project, I compared different stimuli for their capacity to activate B cells by looking at the cellular proliferation and upregulation of different activation markers. Building on the results provided by that assay, I also carried out in vitro B cell functional assays to investigate the potential effects of myeloid cells on B lymphocytes differentiation and function. The time spent working on this project allowed me to become familiar with Flow Cytometry and cells culture. I’m motivated and eager to learn, with excellent writing and data interpretation skills.
My motivation stems from my special interest in Immunology which gradually developed through modules taken as part of my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. The research project I was involved with during my year as a Ph.D. student further strengthened my interest in immunological experimentation and fueled my wish to study various aspects of B cell biology, with a major focus on cellular and molecular events that take place in germinal centers.

Indeed, my main career goal is to better understand basic molecular and cellular adaptive immunology and to translate this knowledge to design and test new therapeutic strategies against cancer and viral infections. It is my strong belief that a Ph.D. position under your supervision is an ideal opportunity to do so as well as to work in a stimulating environment that promotes the advancement of essential skills to grow as a scientist.

I hope my background as well as my enormous interest in your research make me a strong candidate to successfully work in your laboratory.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing back at your convenience.

I do appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,

XXX

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi Emily,
1- What is the expected word count for that letter?
2- Which areas/points were you asked to cover?
3- Is there a URL (link) that outlines the requirements?
4- What is the submission deadline?

emily95

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Good evening 😊
There Is no URL that outlines the requirements. I have to compilate a form on the website of a PI to ask about joining his lab. So I want to introduce myself and brefly explain my research interest. It should be Better send the email as soon as possibile.

emily95

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I want to be sure that the grammar is correct

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good evening. 😊 (An emoji is not a substitute for a closing punctuation mark.)
There Is no URL that outlines the requirements. I have to compilate complete a form on the website of a PI to ask about joining his lab no full stop here so I want to introduce myself and briefly explain my research interest. It should be better It would be good for me to send the email as soon as possibile possible.
Note my corrections and comments above.
I want to be sure that the grammar is correct.
You must end every sentence with an appropriate closing punctuation mark.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear XXX,

I am XXX. I am writing to state my motivation for, and to inquire about the availability of, PhD positions to join in your laboratory. I am very interested in the use of the systems biology approaches you employ to elucidate molecular mechanisms of diseases and immune responses to vaccination and infection.

With I have a strong background in molecular biology, biochemistry, and immunology, and in 2019, I hold completed a master’s degree in XXX at the University of YYY. The degree courses provide me with specific competencies and know-how for the identification of new pharmacological targets as well as the design and delivery of biopharmaceutical drugs. I defended my master's thesis focusing on the synthesis and physical-chemical characterization of oligonucleotide analogs to be used as innovative therapeutic tools.

In addition, in January 2022, I completed a one-year specialization program in “XXX” at the University of YYY. This helped me improve my knowledge of the most recent genomics and in situ-based technologies in the context of cancer. disease. Here, There, I worked on a project involving the use of “Fluorescence in situ hybridization” (FISH) to detect chromosomal rearrangements.

In September 2023, I have been selected for a PhD-program in the Immunology section at the University of XXX, which starts in September 2023. Unfortunately, my research topic has been changed and I have decided that it would be better for me to stop my PhD- not to proceed with that program.

For my Ph.D. project, …
---------------
I stopped here because I got confused. What PhD project are you talking about? I thought you are writing this letter to apply for one!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Will they expect your writing to be like what it will be in the revised document?

emily95

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I made a mistake. In September 2022 i have been selected for a PhD program that I'm going to give up. I'm writing the letter to apply for another one.
Thank you very much for all comments and corrections.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I made a mistake. In September 2022, I have been was selected for a PhD program that but I'm going to give it up. I'm writing the letter to apply for another one.
Thank you very much for all the/your comments and corrections.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I still don't understand. Are you actually doing a PhD at the moment, or were you just offered a place to do one in 2022?