Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Capture.JPG

Source: English Vocabulary in Use book

Hi.

I'm not sure why the word "mutton" hasn't been used instead of "lamb" as the meat of a sheep in the pic shown above. I suspect the term "lamb", at least in some parts of English speaking countries, is utilized in reference to the meat of a sheep, be it adult or young. Is that true?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I haven't seen mutton offered at a butcher's or in a restaurant in England for some forty years now. The only meat from a sheep is labelled 'lamb'.

Mnemon

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I haven't seen mutton offered at a butcher's or in a restaurant in England for some forty years now. The only meat from a sheep is labelled 'lamb'.
Then a question arises and the question is, how do you make the butcher understood which one you'd really want, if "lamb" is the only word in use for the meat of both adult and young sheep?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We use mutton only for the meat of older animals. Otherwise it's lamb.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In countries where lamb is readily available, butchers don't stock mutton, as nobody wants to buy it, because it has a stronger flavour, is tougher to chew and needs a longer cooking time.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In the subcontinent goat meat is very popular and is referred to as mutton. Hindus won't eat beef and Muslims won't eat pork, so for those willing to eat meat, chicken and goat mutton are the only choices. Sheep are not very well suited to the climate.

Flamenco1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
I was lucky enough to visit a sheep farm on New Zealand's South Island a few years back.

The meat of sheep slaughtered in their first year was called lamb, or spring lamb. The surviving sheep, after 7 years of wool production, were slaughtered and sold as mutton.

I remember an Australian, who, as a tourist, joined us on a guided tour. When it came to the sheep shearing demonstration, he offered that he had been shearing for several years in Australia. The kiwi (New Zealander) said, “I expect your operation was much larger over there”. The Australian said, “To get from one end of the shearing sheds to the other we used a motor bike. It was too far to walk." One day, I’d like to see that. These guys can shear a sheep in less than a minute.

Slight sidetrack, but I thought I’d share it.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You'll find it in Indian restaurants in the UK. Also, Prince Charles is a fan of mutton and promotes it. I like mutton.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Just to add, sheep also produce milk. The best cheeses from these parts, Cadiz in southwest Spain, are made with sheep's milk.
As is France's Roquefort.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Goat meat works too.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
we developed a liking for goat mutton when we lived in Oman.

Status
Not open for further replies.